Get manager from active directory

Anna Protopapa March 16, 2017

How can I get the manager of each employee and use it to a workflow. I have thw manager in Acrive Directory

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2017

You'll need to find or write some code that can read your AD for that information and use it in the relevant place in the workflow.

Anna Protopapa March 17, 2017

Thank you,

How I can write code? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2023

You'll either need to get an app that enables scripting within your Jira, or read through https://developer.atlassian.com if you want to start writing an app for this.

Or use one of the marketplace apps that can help you.

4 votes
Daniel Bajrak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2017

Hi Anna,

Have you tried to use plugin Active Directory Attr Sync? There is option to fetch and synchronize data from AD server and use it in JIRA. You can use one of post functions: change assignee to user manager or you can use post function to copy manager of user to single user custom field and use it in conditions/post-functions.

Here you can find more information about this plugin: https://intenso.atlassian.net/wiki/display/AD/Active+Directory+Attributes+Sync+Home

I hope I've helped you.

Best Regards

0 votes
Deleted user May 29, 2023

Does anyone know how to do same for user accounts synced from Azure AD to atlassian cloud. 

Katarzyna Szumilas_Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 29, 2023

Hi!

Sure! App developed by my team - Azure AD Attributes for Jira does exactly that. In a few easy steps, it lets you map Jira and AD users and display their attributes (like name, phone, office, manager) in a dedicated panel on Issue and Request Views or in custom fields of various types (which can be later on used for example in Automation).
It works for any user: reporter, assignee, or someone mentioned in the user picker field!

If that's the solution you are looking for, feel free to give that app a try. Also, our team will be glad to arrange a free demo session for you!

Best regards,
Kasia from Devinti

Thanks @Katarzyna Szumilas_Deviniti_ for your response.

Are the attributes usable in a workflow?

Do you have a documentation page I can review?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 29, 2023

Yes - the app offers its dedicated Copy data from Azure post function.
You can learn more about it in our documentation here.

The App says attribute for Jira? Does that include Jira Service Management

Marketplace Partner
May 30, 2023

Yes, it's compatible also with Service Management projects :)

Suggest an answer