Get creation time/creator of custom field

foolhunger Hsiao March 26, 2013

Dear all

Is it possible to know the creation time and creator of some JIRA custom fields?

Say in the JIRA, there exists a custom field called "Next Version", can I get the creation time/creator info for that?

Thanks a advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2013

Do you mean the time the field was created by an administrator? Or the time someone put a value into the field on a specific issue?

The first needs an audit trail (there's a plugin for that), but I suspect you really do mean the second option, in which case the answer is a simple "yes". If the user fills in a field on creation, then it's the creation date. If it's updated, then all changes to the field will be logged in the history of the issue.

The more difficult bit is searching for "someone updated field X on issue Y"

foolhunger Hsiao March 26, 2013

@Nic Brough

Thanks

Actually, I wanna know when and by whom certain custom fields was added to the system.

Because we have several sys-admins, I'm not sure who added that field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2013

Ah, right :-) It's usually the other question!

Jira itself doesn't currently log administrative actions, but I've had a lot of success with https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.plugenta.jiraauditor (It costs money, but it's very useful when you've got a distributed team of admins, or admins across several business units)

Sysad May 13, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Is there a way to check-in database? When was custom field created and/or when an option to dropdown was added? if so which table? any idea

Thanks

Sysad May 13, 2020

Well, I did this 

select * from customfield where id=##### 

and there was no column with a date returned. Either DB is not configured to add the date or am looking at it wrong.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2020

As it was in 2013, there's nowhere to store when a custom field is created, let alone any code to store the data.

Although there is now an audit log which does capture some admin actions.  I can't remember if field adds are logged, but have a look for admin -> audit.

Sysad May 14, 2020

Thank you. I will look into it thoroughly 

Suggest an answer