Get 403 from SVN, but permissions seem correct

I'm using primarily groups instead of roles to manage permissions since I need to control visibility of projects. I have a group named something like myproject-developers, and along with the administrator role, that group has commit access to the SVN repository as shown at https://xxxx.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ProjectRepositoryPermissions.jspa?repositoryKey=XXXX.

As a member of that group, I can browse source code from within Atlassian, but when I try to perform an action through SVN (e.g. through my IDE), I get a 403, even for read operations like update.

Suggestions?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

This can happen for users without read access to the repository root: https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JST-1557

This is unfortunately due to a bug in Subversion.

Michael - that turned out to be *a* problem but not *the* problem.

For those interested, the problem turned out to be that I had capital letters in my group names which causes problems somewhere in the Crowd/Apache/SVN chain. For those that encounter this problem, ask Atlassian support to turn on the switch in Crowd that converts all params to lower case.

This setting is turned on by default for new instances I believe. Older *.jira.com instances may need it turned on by Support though.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

98 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you