Generic event to email for a specific transition

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2012

Does anyone know how to create a custom or generic event that I can fire as a post function for a specific transition that will email a defined user or group?

I could not locate in the jira documentation how to actually setup such an event.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2012
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2012

I did review that documentation, but I cannot determine how to troubleshoot what I've done because it doesn't appear to work after following the steps.

I created a custom event called Bug Notification. I tried it as a generic event as welll as used one of the other templates just to see if I could get it to work.

I added to the notification scheme for the project that specific event and who to notify should it occur.

I added that post function to the transition that I wanted the email notification to be sent and published the workflow.

I then tested it and could never receive an email through the transition (I set it up for me to be notified).

So, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2012

Have you subscribed to recieve emails for your own changes? You can set this in your profile. Other than that, looks like you have done everything that needs to be done!

The template, whether Generic event or something else, doesn't matter much. It is only a template used for rendering the mail.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2012

Good thought and would certainly be a reason for not getting them. However, the user I set to email to use is a test user that is set up to email my personal account and is not the same user I'm logged in with while executing and not the same email.

I know that the notification scheme is working since other emails are being sent. Very odd...

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2012

I figured out the issue. The user that I was using was not able to be assigned to an issue and, I guess, could then not actually be sent an email. Once I put them into our employee users groups, then they received it.

I don't quite understand how the user got into a state that they could not be assigned (not sure what config that is) and that affects email..but, that did it.

Thanks for reviewing and providing the feedback!

0 votes
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2012

btw - we are an ondemand client and are limited to what only Atlassian provides support for

Suggest an answer