Generic JIRA ID

Audra Bonacki August 23, 2017

Hi there, I've been asked to set up a generic login account in order for us to set up a constant line of communication for JIRA to sync with ServiceNow. I set up said account however, the login credentials do not work. We have an AD account set up with the same login credentials and the email is that of the SN Admin's. Did I miss a step? thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

Hi Audra,

Do you have any issues with any other AD users logging in?

There are a few resources I would take a look at:

Solved: Jira Active Directory integration

Troubleshooting LDAP User Management

In addition, check your JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-jira-security.log to see if there are any errors that stand out.  If the above two resources do not help paste the log snippet from the failed login here.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi Branden, no other users are having an issue logging in. How do I find the log snippet? All I get is "Sorry, your username and password are incorrect - please try again."

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

Hi Audra,

Your logs would exist on the file system.  Since you are on Windows check out Where are the application server logs:

If you are on Windows

• ..and JIRA was installed as a Windows Service:
    • ..then the logs are in the logs\stdout_*.log file in your JIRA Installation Directory and c:\WINDOWS\system32\atlassian-jira.log (WINDOWS may be replaced by WINNT), or for JIRA WAR, in your Tomcat installation directory.
  • ..and JIRA was started via start-jira.bat:
    • ..then some logs are effectively being lost (to the popup DOS window, where it cannot be recaptured). Some logs do go to the atlassian-jira.log file in the current directory (wherever you ran startup.bat from) but this might not work if your current directory isn't writeable (eg. c:\WINNT\system32, the default). Even if you see an atlassian-jira.log it may be an old one, created from a previous startup. If you value your sanity (and ours) please install JIRA as a service, even if only to get all of the right logs appearing in a consistent place.

I would also take a look at Some users are unable to login to Active Directory 'follow referrals' configuration.

Cheers,

Branden

Ok, that's all a bit beyond my level of comprehension. I don't work with the servers.

But if I set up this account like every other account I set up, what would be the issue? 

This is just a dummy account, there is no actual user using it.

Suggest an answer