Generic Dashboard for all users

Nilophar Mujawar October 16, 2012

I want to create a generic dashboard in which logged in user containing all data can be shown.

I want to a filter which can exclude the unnecessary projects for me.

i.e.

If there are 5 projects in jira and I as A user involved in 2 projects,two dimensional filter having x a s Issue type and y axis as projects, can only show 2 projects and issues related to it.

I don't want filter with asignee as current as it only shows issues assigned to me.

I want full status of my projects.

Suppose I logged in as B user and related with remaining 3 projects, my dashboard should get updated with my projcets.

How to do this?

4 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2012

Also to add to what Nic said, if all your gadgets can use only shared filters (do note that some gadgets do not accept filters) and you set the right project permissions (Browse issues) for all the projects, then the users will see only the issues that they have rights to view.

Nilophar Mujawar October 17, 2012

Will you please add more clarification for same?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012
  1. Decide on the set of gadgets that you want to add to system dashboard
  2. Create filters for each of them (do not use project in the filter criteria) as per your requirement
  3. Share all those filters with all users
  4. Add gadgets to the system dashboard using thse filters

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=185729481

Nilophar Mujawar October 21, 2012

Thanks a lot for information.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2012

If you are not associated with a project, you will not be seeing it on the dashboard. The generic dashboard you are talking about can be configured by going to Administration -> System Dashboard

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2012

Create a *system* dashboard that includes the gadgets you need.

The project level stuff is a step away from the dashboard, and there's two steps you need to think about.

1. A dashboard can contain anything you want it to, but most of the gadgets you can add rely heavily on filters. So put the gadgets you want on the system dashboard

2. Filters can be for a single project or many projects. So, define filters that return the information you want the generic dashboard to display, and then use those in the gadgets. Doesn't matter which project is which, all that matters is what the filter returns.

Nilophar Mujawar October 17, 2012

Yes Nic you are absolutely right.Most of the gadgets we can add rely heavily on filters.

I want to know how do I make this generic filter?

If I will be setting current user as asignee query will be returning all assigned issues and tasks.This would be useful for team member but not for team lead.The query should updated with asignee containing in project.Team lead should see full project status using generic filter. I know it can be done by adding project specific filter but it will be a great experience if we can do it generically!

Let me know your thoughs...!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2012

You simply can't do this. You need a way to indicate that a user is a "team lead", but that data is not related to issues, it belongs to people. Filters are for issues, so it's not going to happen.

There's some clever trickery you could do to get there, but frankly, I wouldn't bother. I'd simply create the dashboard with "assignee = current user" AND "full project status". It's not like a Team Lead would never be the assignee (and even if they never do, it'll simply say "no issues"), or that your developers don't want to see the team progress.

If either of them really dislike seeing the extra information, then get them to create their own dashboard.

Nilophar Mujawar October 21, 2012

Thanks a lot for a quick response.

Would you please tell me how to set how to have "full project status"?

0 votes
Nilophar Mujawar October 16, 2012

Take a example : All open bugs in my related projects.

I don't want repeat the procedure to create dashboard manully selecting project.

Once I create this, I should just share and uers can find that and can get project status.

Suggest an answer