Generating JIRA Download License from OnDemand License

Adam Grace March 21, 2013

Hi all,

I admin a JIRA ondemand server at work, and we recently decided to migrate the server to in an installed version of JIRA. Going through the documentation for migrating an OnDemand to Installed version I came across this text.

"Your Atlassian OnDemand license cannot be used in a site installed from the standard JIRA download. You will need to generate a new "JIRA" license from https://my.atlassian.com for your site installed from the standard JIRA download."

I can't for the life of me find where I "generate" a new JIRA license on the my.atlassian control panel.

Can someone help me?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2013

Ah, no, it's not on the OnDemand control panel. The licences for OnDemand and all the other versions are totally separate.

Log in with your Atlassian account at https://my.atlassian.com/products/index and look for an evaluation licence to begin with.

Thanks Nic, I did actually say I looked everywhere on the myatlassian control panel, not the OnDemand panel. I didn't think the "evaluation" license was what the help text was referring to.

So am I correct in thinking I don't gerenate an actual license, but in fact I have to get an evaluation license and go through that process? Do I have to cancel my OnDemand subscription separately?

Thanks for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2013

I understand that the licenses are completely separate, so yes, you'll need to cancel the subscription and get a full download licence in the long run (and yes, I do agree that the sentence you posted isn't particularly clear - it looks like it was written by someone who is highly familiar with licencing, and has momentarily forgotten that they're writing for people who are not - that's unusual for Atlassian writers, but it happens)

In the short term, you can use an evaluation licence to get started on your own hosted system, and then simply buy a full licence for it when you're ready.

I'd be strongly tempted to email sales-at-atlassian-dot-com to see if you can do anything like transferring left over licence fees, but I've not used OnDemand much, so I don't know the rules.

I'd also belt through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+from+JIRA+OnDemand+to+a+JIRA+Installed+Site to see how to go about it all, in case you hadn't spotted that already.

Thanks Nic, I've already gone through that confluence page (which is what brought me to ask my initial question), I've also spoken to the Atlassian sales team about this since. It seems I'll have to start over like a new user. :-/

Oh well, at least I know now. Thanks for your help mate.

Cheers

Suggest an answer