Gantt chart buggy on Jira. Is there something better?

eiger3970 April 3, 2016

Hello, BigBantt and BigPicture are buggy.

I need a Gantt chart to manage monthly processes.

Someone suggested JIRA Portfolio...is this a better solution than a Gantt chart? Any JIRA advisors able to help me get JIRA sorted out so I can migrate my current Gantt chart's processes to an appropriate JIRA tool please?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2016

I'd recommend explaining "buggy" first, as we might be able to help you with that.

Frank Polscheit's Gantt is the one I tend to try first when asked about Gantts as well, that might be worth a try for you too.

Portfolio is not a Gantt chart though.  It could also be a much better option than Gantt charts for you because of the dynamic planning and variety of timelines you get from it.

eiger3970 April 3, 2016

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry, buggy means in this case, creating a new Gantt chart is greyed out in BigGantt.

In BigPicture, there is no clearly found option to create a new Gantt chart?

Ok, trying your Gantt recommendation.

Thanks, sound like Portfolio is useful. However I'm unsure and nervous about meeting my needs which a Gantt chart is so good for. I use the Gantt chart for monthly processes that repeat each month. I would like to expand the Gantt chart to larger projects I do, which aren't monthly recurring processes. Any tips here appreciated.

eiger3970 April 3, 2016

Hi, I would like a chat place to discuss Jira Portfolio and/or Gantt charts. I'm used to Gantt charts, but they're all buggy with Jira. I'm not sure if Portfolio has the management capability that Gantt charts have, but are happy to be told otherwise.
By buggy, I mean BigGantt Create new GanttChart is greyed out. BigPicture doesn't show how to use (I can't find) the GanttChart. Gantt-chart for Jira installed, but nothing happens after install?

Matthew Jagiello
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2016

As far as bugs go, the other charts are usually even less streamlined and harder to set up than BigGantt, at least from my observations.

By buggy, I mean BigGantt Create new GanttChart is greyed out.

You wer esimply not greanted the permissions during the installations, and can correct it in under a minute by going to JIRA administration->Add Ons->Permissions under BigGantt. Add yourself to the Admin group and you're good to go.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2016

It sounds like you aren't following the installation instructions to be honest.  As Matthew says, greyed out options in BigGantt tend to mean you haven't set it up.  For BigPicture and Gantt-Chart, "don't show" and "can't find" suggest that you aren't looking for them as per their documentation.

eiger3970 April 18, 2016

I've installed BigPicture, however I can see no place to add due dates.

Also, I have monthly recurring issues. Is there a free marketplace or command script to allow this simple feature?

Dmitry Sasha April 18, 2016

Due dates are by default stored in a field called "End date". You can either use this field in JIRA, or make BigPicture use different fields (the latter in JIRA Administration->Add Ons->Gantt Configuration).

BigPicture uses JIRA issues, so as long as you have recurring issues in JIRA (clones, automatic due date changes, or else) it will read and display them.

eiger3970 April 21, 2016

Okay, I found due dates (in BigPicture and not in Jira, Projects or JIRA for Portfolio) and seems to be working. However after a reboot, BigPicture is missing from the top navigation bar. I'll lodge a new issue re this here.

Suggest an answer