Functionality around Global permission to Assign users changes between Jira 4 to Jira 5. Why?

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

In Jira4, I only allowed certain users in groups (i.e. managers) to assign issues to users. From the main top level" page while browsing issues the "Assign" and "Assign to Me" buttons were not visible. I then customized the workflow to display the Assign user pulldown menu along with other fields. ScriptRunner was then used to validate the assigned user with the following rules:

1/ If Manager then allow assigning to any user
2/ Elseif unassigned then OK
3/ Elseif issue assigned to self (i.e. currentUser) then OK
4/ Else display error below Assign User Field stating: ERROR: You can only assign this issue to yourself else your Manager will assign it."

In Jira 5, if I don't have the Assign User global permission set to allow a Reporter to set the assign user then then Assign User menu is not longer displayed on any of the workflow transition screens.

I understand the need to fix the "logic" around assigning users but this really puts a hole in my workflow process. i.e. nonManagers can assign issues to anyone. That is not acceptable.

Can I move the validation directly to the field value itself, no matter where it is set?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Here's Andre's text that did the trick for me:

Thanks for the clarification. I was checking here but there is no way to achieve this in JIRA, but maybe the following KB can be helpful for this case:

Hope this helps. Please be aware that customisations are out of scope of this support channel, so we can't guarantee we will be able to resolve this by using this channel.

Thanks for your understand. Let me know if the KB helped for this case.

Regards,
Andre

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2013
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2013

We can't see your support requests. They're limited to you and Atlassian (Oh, and Behaviours is not a standard Atlassian plugin, so they probably won't be of much help)

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2013

I'm trying the "Behaviours" plugin. Successfully installed it with UPM, I even restarted Jira.

I setup a simple behaviour on the Assignee field to make it optionally readonly, with no serverside script defined and no When condition. Only an Except condition when the user is part of a specific Jira group. The global permission has the Reporter (i.e. me the user) having permissions to assign users. When I browse an issue I created, I'm still able to see the "Assign" and "Assign to Me" buttons. I'm able to assign another user with no errors or restrictions.

What am I missing or misunderstanding about this plugin.

Are there only solutions?

Suggest an answer