Fully automated installation/configuration of JIRA

I'm using Ansible to create a fully automated instance of JIRA. The main use-case is that it will allow us to test changes, upgrades, etc. on a test instance before we do it in production. I have the install all done as well as the database configuration. Where I'm blocked is the setting of the license. Is there any way to programmatically set this? If not, is there a certain file/folder I could grab from the production instance that would satisfy the licensing requirement? Basically, I want to press a button, go get some coffee, and come back to where I can open up a browser and be ready to create a project. Thanks!

5 answers

Hey,

I'm trying the same by Ansible.

Since JIRA 7 the license information is stored in the database table productlicense.

You can automate your configuration by updating this table by inserting the license.

At the moment I am able to updating the application properties (app title and base url) by the table propertystring and the license by updating the table productlicense. I am still looking for a way to automatically create the administration user to avoid the last step in the setup wizard.

Any idea?

Thanks

hey Folks, might be a late Q.. but can you share the Ansible playbook, script steps to automate creation of JIRA instance?

Thx,

Vk

@Chris Kast: Hey did you make any progress on this?  I setup something similar with puppet but got stuck on the same portion sad

@Ryan Morten, not really. The way I ended up setting it up was my ansible script logs into the production console, grabs the latest backup, and then scp's it to the test instance's /var/atlassian/applicaton-data/jira/import folder. I still have to manually go through 2 screen to select "Restore" and the filename to restore from. If they had a "restore" API, i figured i could get this fully automated.

Is there any new answers or update to automating the installation of a license and configuration of JIRA instances? We also have a need to create a new instance as part of our dev/testing process

Atlassian seems to be using the "unattended installation" verbiage to cover this scenario.  I think the best option here is to use the .bin installer and use a varfile as documented here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/unattended-installation-855475683.html

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,774 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot