From one moment to another, emails sent by me, don't end up in JIRA

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

I am setting up the last pieces of JIRA and from one moment to another, emails sent by me, don't end up in JIRA anymore as a new issue. What has maybe happened?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

Hi,

You should identify one specific issue where it didn't worked and trace it step by step.

1. Was message sent.

2. Was it recieved by destination email address. (Possible problems: antispam, network issues, full mailbox, email system misconfiguration)

3. Did Jira read email? (Possible problems: Wrong mail folder, Somebody else (like Jira test environment) already read it, no listener configured)

4. Did Jira accepted mail (Possible problems : No account in Jira with sender email address, or Multiple accounts with same email address in Jira and at least one of those accounts don't have permission to create new issue, Validator of create issue transition blocked creation.)

BR,

Andris.

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

I bet on - Jira test environment read it first.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

1. Yes it has been sent

2. Yes it is in the mailbox

3. No. But it works with others who sent email..... :-(
(so it's more weird than a problem now, because I can create issues in JIRA ;-))

So I guess you are right, but I don't know what you mean by it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2014

If other people can send mail and it works, then it's something to do with the account(s) associated with your email address

Do you have multiple accounts with the same email address? Does the account have create and/or comment rights on the project/issue you're trying to create/comment in? Best of all, can you read the log file? That should tell you it's reading emails and if it's failing there, why...

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

If it is not working only for you, you have one of these:

1. You have multiple accounts (with same email address) and Jira chooses wrong one. (For example you have accounts in Jira vera(vera@mycompany.com) and testuser(vera@mycompany.com). And Jira think's that "testuser" account should be used to create ticket, but it don't have permission to project, because only "vera" account have that permission

2. You are sending from address which does not match any Jira account. (for example in jira you use vera@mycompany.combut you send from vera@gmail.com)

3. Your Jira account don't have permission to create issue in your project.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

Actually, I do have 2 extra test-accounts with my emailaddress. And they are a typically-for-us-jira-user and the other is a jira-administrator like myself....

And the log-file... I'm not sure where to find it :-S

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

Does all those 3 users have create issue permission in project in question?

Are you sure there is no older accounts which you were using and then removed permissions from them?

Log files can be found on Jira server. Look for files catalina.out and atlassian-jira.log.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

I can't recall that.... Somewhere in the process I changed myself from Internal JIRA user to LDAP, but I'm sure that was after this.

I also checked it (or unchecked it, don't know exactly where it was) that you do or don't get e-mails from your own changes. But I don't think that has anything to do with it?!

Log files I will look them up, need my Linux-man for that ;-)

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

Maybe try opening Jira User managment and finding all users which have email address same as your mail FROM address? Then Use permission helper to check if all those accounts have "Create issue" permission for your project.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

It works now! Deleted the test-accounts; I think JIRA chose the wrong one :-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2014

Check the configuration of the incoming "email handler", and read the logs to see them processing.

It might be that your emails have a subject that contains an issue key (in which case they're being imported as comments) or your mail handler is configured with some quirk you don't understand. If Jira is reading the email and failing to import it, there will be things in the logs.

You'll need to do some debugging.

Suggest an answer