From email in issue created notifications seems to be not working in JEMH?

Nikita Loginov September 7, 2015

Hi, we're currently evaluating JEMH and I have the following requirement for establishing a service desk on Jira+JEMH: a user who created an issue via submitting an email should receive an issue created notification no matter if he/she set "don't notify on my updates" option in user's profile. From address in the issue created email should be as set in at the project leve.

This is quite possible with JEMH. However, in the issue created notification it sets From address as the global JIRA from email, not the one set in the project.

I've tried to play with settings:

• Custom From: email address
  • Custom From: email name part

"Custom From: email address" - works but this mean I can't use project mapping for profiles since other projects will have different from emails set.

"Custom From: email name part" - doesn't work in this case (I set it as $issue.getProjectObject().getEmail()) it still uses JIRA global from email address. Is there way to use project mapping in JEMH profile and fulfill the requirements?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2015

If you have a project mail address set, JEMH should use it, however:

This is quite possible with JEMH. However, in the issue created notification it sets From address as the global JIRA from email, not the one set in the project.

Your mail server will usually restrict what the 'from' address of outbound mail can be.  Try validating your expectations by talking to your mailsever with telnet: 

You'll likely need to talk to your mailserver admin, to enable your mail host to allow your connecting mail account to be able send mail 'from' another user, effectively.

Event Listener > Project Mappings in current releases have more capabilities, enabling them to be driven from issue custom fields as well.  However, your primary problem will likely remain, with solution as outlined above.

Nikita Loginov September 8, 2015

Andy

Your mail server will usually restrict what the 'from' address of outbound mail can be.  Try validating your expectations by talking to your mailsever with telnet:

The thing is that SMPT allows these custom from email address. I don't think this related to SMTP itself.

My question is why issue created notification is sent using "From" as set in JIRA global "from email address" instead of project's one? Please note, I don't use project mapping at the moment, I attached profile to the project  using "Fall-back Project" option. Maybe this is the root cause?

Suggest an answer