Freeze requirement ticket

Frank de Kievit September 12, 2017

Hello,

We are using JIRA to keep track of requirements.

We are also using addons which link requirements to executed system tests.

One problem with this is that someone can modify the contents of a requirement at the moment, after it already has executed system tests in previous versions of our software.

I have made a workflow of requirement tickets which goes from 'draft' to 'live' to 'depricated'. I want to force (for regulatory purposes) the ticket to be viewable only after it moves from 'draft' to 'live'. This will then force people (if they want to update the requirements) to depricate the old requirements and make a new ticket rather than reusing the ticket.

How can I freeze the contents of the tickets so that people cannot change the requirements ?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2017

What you could do to keep users from editing an issue after a certain point would be to use Workflow properties to restrict which user groups can edit the issue when it exists in a certain status.

That document mentions the use of the property called jira.permission.edit.group if you use this property, you can then set the value to be a group name that still has access to edit this.  Typically this would be a very limited group such as 'jira-administrators'.  That way, when an issue in is in this specific status of the workflow, only the members of the 'jira-administrators' group actually have the access to edit fields on this issue.  

The gotcha here is that if users can still transition the issue to a new status that doesn't have this workflow property, they could then change these fields while the issue is in that status.  But I don't know if your workflow allows for that or not but something to think about.

Suggest an answer