Four Part Cascading Selection

Brandon Eldridge December 29, 2017

Hello.

Gotta say this up front, I'm very new to configuring and administering Jira so I'm still learning a lot. This may be something obvious but I just cannot find a method to do what I want here, I've searched a lot but can't find anything.

I'm looking to create a four part cascading menu. I've found the Select List (Cascading) field type, but I need more than two drop-downs.

I'd like to get it set up like so:

List A

Location A or Location B

List B

Major Issue categories based on Location A or B

List C

More Specific Issue categories based on selection in List B

List D

Exact issue based on selection in List C

So basically, drilling further down based on the selections in each consecutive drop down list.

Is this possible in Jira? If not, what would be a viable alternative?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! If I can provide any more specifics that would help I can gladly do so.

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2017

Off-the-shelf, no, the 2 level cascading select is all you can do.

However, one great think about Jira is extensibility -

• the Behaviours module in the ScriptRunner add-on can tie separate select lists together to emulate a 4-level cascading select
  • there is a multi-level cascading select that implements it more easily than ScriptRunner (no need to write code)

I've got a feeling there are other add-ons that you could use too.  Have a look in the marketplace!

Brandon Eldridge December 30, 2017

Ok awesome, I'll definitely take a look in the marketplace and in ScriptRunner. Thank you so much for the help!

Brandon Eldridge January 6, 2018

I'm going to drop this quick update here, maybe it will be able to help someone out in the future.

I managed to get around this by condensing the four drop downs into three, working like this.

Essentially making the first drop down the issue type, as before, Location A or Location B.

Then making two separate cascading drop downs, each one dependent on the selected location for Issue type.

The left drop down being the issue category, then right drop down being the specific issue. The drop down options being entirely different depending on whether A or B was selected for the Issue Type.

Basically, all that had to be done was make the first drop down the Issue Type, and condense drop downs 3 and 4 into the second drop down for each cascading list.

It actually ended up working better than four drop downs would have I believe. It's less congested this way.

0 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 6, 2018

FWIW,

You could also the multi level cascading select custom field of the table grid editor.

Francis