Formula for "Commitment" Story Points in Jira

Danisse September 12, 2022

Formula for "Commitment" Story Points in Jira. Per checking the committed points for Mesh Sprint 60 is 65 and completed is 60. But when we utilize QuickSight we are seeing 91 committed and 60 is completed.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Hello @Danisse 

Are you referring to AWS QuickSight?

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2018/04/AmazonQuickSight-adds-new-app-connectors-and-JSON-support/

The Committed Story Points shown in Jira for a Sprint is calculated at the moment the Sprint is started. It will be unaffected by changes to story points in the issues in the sprint, and unaffected by addition or removal of pointed stories from the sprint.

I haven't worked with AWS QuickSight before but if you are using it to pull the story points for issues currently in the project, the difference may be accounted for by changes to the story point values in the stories or addition of stories to the sprint.

Danisse September 14, 2022

Actually I am using an API to fetch the data from Jira to AWS Quicksight. And there's where the discrepancy happens.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

What API call are you using?

I'm not aware of an API call that will provide the Committed (at the start of the sprint) story points specifically, but I'm not an expert in the API.

If you are using an API to get the stories in a sprint and their current story points, then my previous response may be relevant. Review the sprint report to see if there was a scope change. Compare the current story point values to the story point values shown in the sprint report.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2022

That suggests that your "QuickSight" is reading the wrong information.

Could you explain what QuickSight is and what it is reading to give you the wrong numbers?

Danisse September 14, 2022

Data coming from JIRA API is what being displayed on AWS Quicksight.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2022

The Jira API will be giving you the correct data, so this confirms that either Quicksight has a big, or it does not fully understand the data you are pulling out of Jira, or it is asking Jira for the wrong thing.

Where are you getting the 60 and 65 from?  Is it a report or gadget in Jira?

To help debug this, it would be useful to check what Jira thinks the numbers are - run a search for "sprint = "mesh 60"", display the story points and add them um.  do they come to 65 or 91, or something else?  (I'm a) assuming you have not removed any issues from the sprint and b) expecting to get 65)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events