Formatting bar included in tab sequence/index

Olav Luijten April 19, 2021

Since the latest upgrade of Jira I'm having issues with the tab ordering. Tabbing in forms is a perfect way tot quickly fill out a form, html is even giving possibilities (tab index) to assign the ordering of fields in a form (or exclude fields). Also, it prevents to use the mouse.

However, since the latest upgrade, the options in the formatting toolbar, when assigning, creating a new issue, adding a comment, etc, is counted in as Tab-key fields, example (style is now highlighted from tabbing from Assignee to Comment and will tab through the other options before entering the Comment-field):

Tab Index.png

I can hide the formatting toolbar, but also a hidden toolbar counts as 1 tab. And I frequently do use the formatting options and a hidden toolbar isn't useful then.

I was wondering if you also experience this annoying 'new feature' and if it can be solved?

It's not browser dependent, I tested in Firefox as well as Edge.

We are using Jira Server 8.14.1.

3 answers

0 votes
Sw3nna April 4, 2022

It would be nice for the hide / show toolbar option to be first in the list or toolbar tab order so you can tab once, active the hide / show tool bar as required, and easily tab to the comments section.

Failing that, a keyboard shortcut to hide / show the toolbar.

0 votes
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi all,

We've seen the same change happen when moving from the 8.13.x to 8.20.x

The 8.14 changelog ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-8-14-x-release-notes-1027133861.html#JiraSoftware8.14.xreleasenotes-a11y ) mentions that the toolbar is now included in the tab ordering

CCM

Olav Luijten January 14, 2022

Hi Craig, thanks for posting this.

So Atlassian had a clear reason to do this, because of accessibility. Unfortunately it lacks usability. I think most users will first type, or using default shortcuts like ctrl+b/i/u for bold/italic/underline text, and then applying format. Not first choose a format and then type, at least, I can't imagine that this is accepted through user acceptance tests, or the acceptance tests where wrongfully written. 

Creating shortcuts for other format-bars options would be more logic then putting this in the tab-sequence. 

0 votes
Leah Hassin June 16, 2021

We updated to Jira 8.15.1 over the weekend and I am now experiencing this issue as well when tabbing through screens any time there's a rich text field (comment, description, etc). Like you, I would prefer to not have the toolbar hidden as I use it regularly. It would be wonderful to have this work as it used to so we can quickly tab through a screen. It's been quite annoying over the last few days. 

Suggest an answer