Forcing a comment on flag

Susan Perkins October 1, 2019

Is there a way to configure Jira so that someone must create a comment when flagging an issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Hello Susan,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Currently, it's not possible to set a comment as required when flagging or unflagging an issue. We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote and watch in order to hear about updates on the development cycle.

Regards,
Angélica

Susan Perkins October 3, 2019

:sad face:

Scott Mann January 21, 2020

I recognise the intention behind this but it won’t stop people from putting a blank space and clicking submit, because technically it’s a comment.

There is an education piece to be had with the people who are adding the flags and getting them to understand the importance of context along side the content.

Content is is the flag, context is the comment.

Rory Yandell August 20, 2020

@Scott Mann Definitely a learning opportunity, but if someone saves a blank comment it's pretty telling that they purposefully circumvented the process, which is a bigger issue, rather than simply forgetting a comment when they flag an issue which happens a lot. 

Scott Mann August 21, 2020

@Rory Yandell Fair point!

0 votes
Jim Eckett June 28, 2023

I don't know what's changed since 2019, or if it's because I'm in the beta for new features, but this is now a thing... Depending on where the user tries to add/remove their flag. 

For instance we have a view where our Devs can see all the tickets assigned to them (Scrum template with To Do, In Progress, Done columns). If they stay in this view, hover over the ticket they want to flag/unflag, see the three dots appear in the top right of the ticket, "add/remove" flag is one of the helpful options. If the three dots aren't there in that view when hovering, the Devs have found the same interaction by right clicking the ticket.

If they do this same thing, but inside an individual ticket, the prompt to leave a comment never appears.

Suggest an answer