Forcing a JIRA issue type to be manually selected on creation

Matt May 28, 2013

Our customers are creating issues with incorrect issue types, because the system is providing a default value on creation (apparently the last issue type they used?), which they do not change. Should be simple right? Apparently not simple enough. We've got bugs as new features, and new features as tasks.

We would like the ability for the issue type to be empty, or none to start, and force them to pick an issue type before they can finish creating the issue.

Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

1 answer

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

Hi Matt, have you tried changing the Issue Type Scheme and select the default one to 'None'?

Matt May 28, 2013

Yes, I tried that. It doesn't seem to have any effect when I create new issues. The issue type is still being populated (in my case by "new feature").

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

Well this is not a possible feature on the Jira core, and I'm not sure if there is any plugin for this. I'll do some research since I'm curious about this... Maybe doing some coding to the field.

Jeff Serviss December 19, 2014

I have the issue type defaulted to "None" but it always defaults to the previously opened issue type. I would like to find a way to force the user to select an issue type at every creation. Any suggestions?

Suggest an answer