Forbidden Error message: Permission Issue.

Justin Carr August 12, 2014

Hello all... This is my second question and I want to say thanks to all that help.

Myself and other users are getting the error message I will attach quite frequently. We are all Admin level and can see and do everything. The message does not block access, rather its an annoyance. Any ideas on how to fix it or stop the message????

2 answers

0 votes
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2014

What URL are you trying to follow when you get that message?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2014

Admin is irrelevant to whether you can see stuff. Admin gives you admin rights, not access to everything (unless you, as an admin, change the permissions to allow admins to see everything)

Basically though, look at the permission scheme for the project. You've got it set up to allow "create" but not "browse" for the users.

Justin Carr August 13, 2014

I am logged in as an Admin, and I have admin rights to all projects and have all permissions to all projects. Still getting error.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2014

Again, forget the admin stuff, it's irrelevant.

What does the permission scheme explicitly say for "Browse:"?

Neither areas have Users ability to access. I have created groups for outside users to access a view only to certain projects. If I add users to any of those permissions then as default the outside vendors will have abilities we dont want them to have. I hope this makes sense. I am still new at JIRA.

The group I created with users in it has the browse permission so they can see what we are working on and thats it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2014

"neither area has users ability to access" - that's probably it, but it is still very unclear what you have set up.

Please could you start from the basics, and stick to using the words Jira uses to avoid confusion.

1. Go to the project and look at the permission scheme. What does it have next to "browse"?
  2. Once you have got the list of groups, roles or whatever who have "browse", then look at who matches those patterns. (e.g. if you have "browse: group: Penguins", then who is in the "penguins" group?)

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2014

Unfortunatly, The issue is different. All users in the system fall under one of the groups listed under browse in all of the permission schemes. They can all access what they need. Its more like a bug that is just a pain the the ass. Like I said earlier, it does not block access, it just pops up and when you hit continue you are able to access the issue or project etc... Its just a little bothersome and upper management asked me to investigate. Thanks for your input.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2014

Ok, this is sounding like you have some form of network or user caching issue. Jira isn't getting the information that you are logged in as user X when you try to do something, but when you try it again, it's fine.

I'm afraid you need to establish a clear pattern first - when does it happen, are there specific users, are there specific actions that cause it and so-on.

Also, what user directory type are you using?

Rethabile Morena September 18, 2014

My team started experiencing the same issue this week - all was well until Tuesday (this is annoying).

Suggest an answer