For Jira 6.3.14 SaaS: anyone have a local implementation code fix that allows me to use Story Points?

Doug Shelton May 29, 2015

I understand from a web article I can't find the link for anymore that this version of Jira, when deployed as SaaS, does **not** support 'Story Points".  I am asking if anyone has found an exception to that or has some easy JIRA filer query or other code fix that can be deployed locally for me to use Story Points for "Agile Jira".

3 answers

0 votes

Nic:

I can't even "Find" them.  When I have my issues in the Backlog, according to the Help material, I should be able to assign Story Points to the Backlog items.  I would then assume as I pull the Backlog Items (User Stories) into Agile JIRA "Sprints", there would be a field in the "details" for that Story which would show the Story Points allocated to the particular story.

But I never get to that point, because in the Backlog, I cannot find the actual "field" called 'Story Points" or just "Points" to associate with the Story.

Now, assuming that's just some UI thang I'm not familiar with (would be happy to get the tips on "where" to find the 'Points" fiied), what I want to do of course is to have Release Burndowns [BurnUp charts are preferred - can't find those either] showing the Points - NOT the task hours.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2015

Oh, right. This cropped up the other day, so I bookmarked it as it's a better answer than I would have scribbled - see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/16391374/cant-find-how-to-set-the-story-points

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2015

It's not that you can't use them, it's that they don't display where some of us need them to.  Apart from that display, it's at best a misunderstanding to suggest that they're not supported.

They don't roll up to the parent issues to be displayed, unlike estimates and logged time (which can cause it's own problems when people don't get how that works properly and start demanding silly changes that would actually break it all).  Story points still work, they just aren't easy to report on outside the Agile charts because they don't roll up.

Unfortunately, there's no fix for Cloud installations.  Script-runner and a simple scripted field solve it for Server versions, but you can't use that on Cloud.

0 votes

Specifically, it was this article that indicated Story Points could not be used in this SaaS version of Jira:  https://riada.se/blog/sana/estimate-your-sub-tasks-in-jira-agile/

Suggest an answer