For JIRA specifically, will we see any difference in performance using postgres vs mysql database?

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2014

We are currently using Postgres 9.0. When JIRA 6.3 is released we can upgrade to postgres 9.3 But we've also been discussing moving away from postgres to mysql.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially around performance.

thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2014

My two cents about this topic, based only in my experience working with JIRA, I preper postgres. My impression is that backup and projects imports are faster when using postgres database.

Just one additional information that you may find relevant, we use postgres in our Ondemand platform. However I'm not aware if there was any kind of performance study behind this implementation.

Cheers

1 vote
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2014

Hi there,

There shouldn't be a big difference in performance from MySQL to Postgres.

Our recommendation is for you to use the database which you (or your DBA) are more familiar with.

Some people have asked similar quesitons in the posts below:

I hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Danilo

Suggest an answer