For Enterprise size users -- number of issue types?

Ron Summers December 12, 2012

We have a lot of different groups using JIRA and so our usage is not uniform. This has resulted in quite a few "custom" issue types (along with all the other parts).

I'm curious as to how many issue types some other companies might be using for various purposes.

We have between 20-30 right now. Note, that some of these issue types are sub-task issue types.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2012

I've seen systems with over 300, but this was because someone thought it was a good idea to give all the PMs admin rights so they ran off and did their own thing. Part of my housekeeping was to get it down to something around 50 (I think there were another 20ish we could have merged if the data wasn't so complex, so it should have been 40). That excluded sub-tasks, they were in a far worse state, although easier to merge.

I don't really think it's too much of a problem - lots of issue types available is fine, but I'd recommend keeping the number in each project down. A user offered 5 issue types in a project is much more likely to pick the right than one who sees 30 of them and thinks "meh" and picks the first one they see.

The Jiras I currenyly look after vary between the off-the-shelf list and 60 types (top level and subtasks), although most of them are on about 10 or about 40. The ones with around 10 use Jira for one purpose (e.g. development), and the ones with around 40 use it for different types of development, change control, cataloguing, project management, etc etc.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012

A user offered 5 issue types in a project is much more likely to pick the right than one who sees 30 of them and thinks "meh" and picks the first one they see

That says it ;)

Ron Summers December 12, 2012

Thanks Nic. I guess that is an "answer" to my question (I'll mark it later) though it is possibly too open ended as question. But it is good to know that not the only one with a long list of issue types which is mostly annoying as an admin looking at the list.

Yes, for most of our projects, the issue type scheme has a small number (usually around 5 or so). It is just our total number is "high" from the variety of projects which sounds somewhat the case for you though I'm talking about a single JIRA instance having this many.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer