Fixing a component

Angie Elliott January 19, 2021

Hello, 

I've gone through the list of component issues already discussed here but could find an answer for my case. Here is the scenario:

Someone on my team created a kanban board as a component of another kanban board. So now I have two boards with different names but all the same issues, which is a nightmare of course. However, the person who created the board as a component of the other has made changes to issues on his "component board"

Question: How can I fix this to have one board with the issues, without losing any content/changes?

Thank you!

-angie

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

Ok, there's some stuff to unpick here, but I'll keep it simple:

>Someone on my team created a kanban board as a component of another kanban board

This is not a thing in Jira, there's no "board as a component of another board".  A board is a board in its own right, it has no form of inheritance, componentisation or link to another board.

Boards are a view of a set of issues.  If you copy a board, you'll find the new one selects the same issues as the old, until you reconfigure it to look at a different set.

When you make changes to an issue on a board, you are not doing it "in the board", you are changing the issue that a board selects.  So if another board selects it, you'll see the issue changes made via the first board when you're viewing the other board because they're looking at the same thing.

So, yes, you can just delete a board.  It removes all the config, but has no effect on the issues behind the board.

Angie Elliott January 19, 2021

Thanks so much! This helps.

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

When you deleted a board , only the reports based on that board JQL will be deleted. 

Issues / tickets will not deleted from project. 

So no issues , you can delete the not needed board.

Suggest an answer