First time with Jira

Sobhy Admin December 15, 2019

Hi Jira team,

I used Jira as an end-user for a long time.

Now, my managers asked me to setup Jira to be used in our environment.

I downloaded 3 packages to be installed on Linux server: Core, Software, and Service Desk.

My first question is: To start using Jira to allow our users to open tickets via web browser, do we need to install Core only, or we must install Core + Software + Service Desk?

My second question: Why do we need to create external database?

Third question: We need our users to login using their Active Directory accounts (domain accounts on Windows), how to enable or configure this feature?

Last question: As you know, we got 90-days license for free. What is the cost if we need to buy Jira to be installed on Linux server and allow users to open tickets via web browser?

Best regards

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2019

Hi @Sobhy Admin and welcome to the Community. I will start by conveying that I, like most folks in the Community do not work for Atlassian. I say this only to avoid early confusion as you seek help here. Any Atlassian employee will have the “Atlassian Team” badge in their name.

with that said, let’s get to your questions.

1. if you are going to use JSW Or JSD you do not need Core as both include Core. I would recommend you install JSW first and then add JSD as an application on the same install.
  2. Jira requires a DB. It doesn’t come with one and this allows you to choose the one of your choice. Please see the documentation for more. You can search the doc site for loads of detailed info associated with installing and using.
  3. I would recommend you review the documentation.
  4. here is info on pricing - pricing-self-managed 
Sobhy Admin December 15, 2019

Thanks a lot Jack.

Your answers are perfect.

There is only one answer isn't clear; What is the difference between JSW and JSD? What is the best choice for me if I need to create a ticketing system for my internal users in the company to allow them open a ticket with IT in case they have problem? They are 60 users. Do I need JSW or JSD, or both together. Do I need a DB in this case.

That is it.

Waiting your answer to test the recommended package then purchase it.

Best regards

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

I would recommend JSD for that purpose. While there are many reasons for this one key one is that your internal customers will not be paid user licenses only the agents working the issues will require a paid license.

Suggest an answer