Firing events during a workflow transition.

Marcel_R__Ackermann February 6, 2012

Hi.

I am looking for some clarification with respect to events. As far as I understand, you can configure a single event to be fired as post-functuion at the end of a workflow transition. I am wondering:

1. Is this the only event that is fired during a workflow transition, or are there maybe events fired as side effects? E.g., if the transition screen askes for an assignee, will the Issue Assigned Event fire automatically or do i have to fire it manually as a post-function?
  2. Is there a sub-typing of events, such as "an Issue Assigned Event is also a Generic Event", and a listener waiting for a Generic Event would be triggered by the Issue Assigned Event, or are all events independent?
  3. Is there any benefit in firing specific events if I don't have any custom listeners? That is, are there system listerers that take any actions if, say, an Issue Assigned Event is fired?

Thanks for your kind help!

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2012

1. No (and it's a source of some pain). The Edit action fires an issue updated event, the transitions fire whatever event they've been tagged with, and there's absolutely no consideration given to the possibility that the assignee has changed. You don't get an event for it. So, yes, you need to write a post function (recommendation - it's not just a "fire event", you'll want an "if assignee changes"

2. Events are independent, unrelated, there's no sub-events in it

3. Yes, the events feed directly into notification schemes, but no other listeners I know of (well, um, I'm not sure how the activity stream works actually, that may be some event/system thing). If you've got an event that isn't used in a notification scheme AND you know there are no listeners, then yes, it's doing nothing.

Note - I'm not sure why you're only allowed to fire one event per transition, there may be a good reason it's disallowed.

Vineela Durbha February 12, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

How to fire my listener only for a particular transition on a workflow.

Because I am using All Issue events and it is running for all the transitions

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2019

This is a 7 year old conversation.  It's not quite accurate any more.

I see you've asked this elsewhere, so I'll not repeat the answers there!