Firefox can't connect with server localhost:8080 on Jira start-up.

Oleksiy Holyarchuk May 5, 2013

I'm new to Jira and have downloaded trial version on your main page.

After successfully completed installation I can't launch Jira.

Firefox tells me that can't establish connection with local server localhost:8080 .

What should I do in order to fix this problem and try Jira out? I'm running Win XP SP3.

Many thanks in advance. Kind regards, Oleksiy.

10 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pascal Charbonneau May 5, 2013

If you do not see a log file it probably means that the JIRA didnt even try starting. Do you see the service as started under the windows services list?

Normally you will find the following log under the %jira-home/log directory: atlassian-jira

You can also usually find a stderr and stdout in your C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\logs directory that may give you some hints.

1 vote

Pascal, you made my day! :) (night)

+1000 for your advice.

Following your advice, I've checked list of windows services and Jira service was ACTIVE(working) as well as causing mentioned problem. I restarted this service and Jira finally got working.

Thank you so much! It has finally delivered and Jira launched it's setup.

Can I ask you one more tiny little thing? How to set up Jira to use Firefox as defaut browser? 'cose it uses Opera, which I'm not really fond of.

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Hi Oleksiy,

Try http://localhost:8080/jira and if does not work check your log file.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16121981

Secondly, are you using any anti-virus?

I use, McAfee and JIRA won't start until I stop my anti-virus services.

I stop the following services in McAfee

1. Access Protection

2. Buffer Overflow Protection

3. On-Access Scanner

I don't use any anti-virus Bhushan. http://localhost:8080/jira - also didn't help.

I found C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\logs and the only not emply log-file there - was commons-daemon.2013-05-06.log where I don't understand anything :(

Also, there is no atlassian-jira.log in c:\WINDOWS\system32 folder of Win XP SP3.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Here is what you can do. Stop your JIRA service and delete the existing logs in C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\log

1. Start JIRA

2. Tell us what version of JIRA you are using

3. Tell us what Java version you are using

4. Attach the log (copy/paste log content here)

0 votes
kiran shelke April 10, 2014

Hi,

I have got the same problem after downloading jira..it wont open..I'm not able to use it ,i'm running it on win XP..what to do..can anybody have knowledge to solve this..

0 votes

Error-message changed to:"You tried to gain access to http://localhost:8080/ url, which is unavailable at the moment. Make sure, please, that (URL) entered correctly and then try to load the page again." Damn.

Another thing. Why Jira on start-up launching Opera browser if Firefox is my Default browser? Really, this is pain in hell for end-user. :(

0 votes

Jira version - is the latest, downloaded 1 hour ago from main site. JIRA 5.2.11 , Win XP SP3 and Firefox 20.0.1 . After installation of trial version - can't launch Jire as Firefox can't connect to local server localhost:8080

0 votes

and java ver. is - 1.7.0._17

0 votes

I stopped Jira service[8080] but I can't find log files you are talking about. In destination folder you mentioned above C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA - there is no log-files, nor LOG directory. Only empty folders CACHES, DATA, EXPORT, PLUGINS and empty file .jira-home.lock .

0 votes

I don't use any firewall Pascal :( Also I've opened TCP-View and no application is listening to 8080 port. Don't know what to do next.

0 votes
Pascal Charbonneau May 5, 2013

You could also try checking if your firewall is blocking that port or if that port is in used by another service already. You can get a list of open ports in windows XP with this windows prompt command:

netstat -an | find /i "listening"

which will give you a list of services and currently open ports

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer