Firefox 3.6 browse issue

Alexandre Thomas September 11, 2013

Dear JIRA

We have installed JIRA 6.0.7 in our company. Unfortunatelly, we can only use FireFox 3.6 for web browsing. The big problem we have is that we cannot brose the issues. If we open one, it keeps refreshing the page from, example:

http://serverIP/browse/GD-365 to http://serverIP/!browse/GD-365

and we can see only a white page.

IT there a fix for this? A workaround? because we are really blocked from now.

Thank you very much in advance.

Alexandre

5 answers

0 votes

Yes financial institution. Thank you for the feedback

0 votes

I think you don't know my head office, it is probably less time consuming to try to fix the issue than explaining to them hahaha :)))

Ok, nevermind I wish someone could have a quit fix. I understand FF3,6 is not supported, but this would really improve my daily life.

Meanwhile I will continue trying to convince my Head Office :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2013

I've worked in a couple of places that may be similar. I've generally managed to get my way by talking in their language - in my case, they were financial institutions, so I had two really simple approaches.

1) Call the regulator - for many types of financial information, usage of software that is out-of-support can lead to hefty fines, investigations and entire branches of the business being shut down without warning. You've got similar issues for information that is personal, medical or defence related.

2) Hit them with costs. You could spend years of development time on trying to bodge Jira to be Firefox 3.6 compatible, or fixing Firefox 3.6, balanced against a simple standard upgrade to a supported version across your organisation.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

I know you'll hate what I'm saying now (I would too if I couldn't do anything against it..) but Firefox 3.6 ???

I mean that browser has been released almost 4 years ago... I guess you can't have the newest in web-technology on the one hand (like the latest JIRA) running on old machines or browsers... Why would you update JIRA to 6.0.7 although you know the the old firefox versions are not being supported?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Supported+Platforms

Cheers Christian

Yes this is a good question.

- FF 3.6 is driven by the head office by my company. I do not have any idea why we have so old browser and it cannot be upgrated. As a drawback we have also IE8 (but it is very slow) I know it is 4 years old, but I can't do anything against it.

- We have upgrade to JIRA 6, to fix several small bugs and behaviour. I can use JIRA with IE8 so it is ok, just I would really love to have FF 3.6. Appart of this problem, everything else is working with FF3.6. I am suspecting some javascript behaviour not working properly on 3.6, but maybe I am wrong

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2013

I'm afraid Firefox 3.6 is not supported either by Atlassian coding or by Firefox developers.

There are some workarounds for the various problems you are probably enountering, but some involve hacking bits of Jira code some involve turning off features, and many of them need patches to be applied to Firefox, in the core or by plugin. None of them are easy, none of them are stable (a minor change to Jira can throw them off completely) and they're by no means comprehensive. I'm also talking about Jira 5 and Firefox 3.6, not Jira 6.

I'm afraid it's simply not worth the effort. Your time would be better spent explaining to your head office that Firefox 3.6 is fundamentally unsuitable nowadays and they need to move to a supported browser.

0 votes

None of the confluence page helped me to solve the issue :(

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

Suggest an answer