Fire Custom Event Whenever Custom Fields are modified in JIRA

D April 2, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to send email notifications whenever custom fields are modified. For example, I'd like to notify the developer whenever he/she is assigned to an issue. Note: the email notification should not require a transition. Therefore, I don't believe I can use post-funtions to fire off the event.

Any straightforward ideas?

Regards,

Dotun

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

You will need quite a lot of customisation in a listener. Changes of field just fire "issue updated", so you'll need to shut down the existing notifications and code ALL of the logic for "who do I send email to when I catch an issue updated event"

As Jobin says, assignee is different, using "assign issue" fires issue assigned events (but not if you change it in an edit screen) and there are some others like work logs and comments that fire different events too.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2014

For example, I'd like to notify the developer whenever he/she is assigned to an issue.

You can do this using the ISSUE ASSIGNED event. Won't that work? And for custom field updates, you can use ISSUE UPDATED event.

If you want to get notified only for certain fields, then you will need to write a custom listener.

D April 2, 2014

I want different people notified for different fields. Would writing the custom listener work even without transitions?

Suggest an answer