Finding a substring in issue description

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

Hi all,

In one support project we have URLs referencing tickets in other systems that look like this

http://www.blabla.com/issue/123456

contained in the issue description. Users would like to search for the ticket id 123456 but we haven't found anything that works.

i have tried so far:

description ~ 123456 => no result

description ~ *123456 => invalid

description ~ 123456* => no result

Anyone has a working query ?

I know it would be much better to store the number in a custom field but this is not a solution that helps right now.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Kohler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

Hi Dieter,

There are some limitations to the JIRA text searches (from the docs) :

Whole words only

JIRA cannot search for issues containing parts of words but on whole words only. The exception to this are words which are stemmed.

This limitation can also be overcome using fuzzy searches.

More information: http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/UAISCw

So, going for a custom field (or label) makes more sence for this problem.

Cheers,
Stefan

Stefan Kohler
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2012

yeah, fuzzy search and wildcard are not allowed at the beginning of a word.
So you can't use it for your usecase I'm afraid.

Only option, as far as I can see, are custom fields :-(

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2012

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the hint about the restriction. Didn't read the document until the end ;-) Also didn't think of labeling the issue.

I tried a fuzzy search now using

description ~ "123456~"

but this also didn't return anything. I guess i'm stuck here ...

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2012

ok, will wait for final statement from Atlassian support and post this here

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2012

Hi Dieter,

I think, searching with "~" works only, if the word begins with the searched term.

Best regards

Thomas

Suggest an answer