Find which workflows that uses a specific validation plugin

Michael Danielsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

We have some old plugins that we want to stop using since JIRA now contains the functionallity these plugins provide.

Is there an easy way to find which workflows are using these plugins?

I have tried to look in an xml backup, but the backup is very large so it is hard to do it this way.

We also have a lot of workflows so it would be a lot of job to export each workflow to an xml.

Is there a way to export all workflows to one XML?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Krzysztof Skoropada [Deviniti]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

Hi, Michael,

You mentioned all the possible options as I guess. XML backup is the best I think - all in one place. But.. workflows are stored as a CLOB on database, so try to build sql query to select it.

4 votes
Michael Danielsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2012

I used the following SQL question to find which workflows and workflowschemes that used the plugin

SELECT 
  workflowscheme.name,
  workflowschemeentity.scheme,
  issuetype.pname,
  workflowschemeentity.issuetype
FROM 
  issuetype,
  workflowschemeentity,
  workflowscheme
WHERE 
issuetype.id = workflowschemeentity.issuetype and
workflowscheme.id = workflowschemeentity.scheme and
  workflowschemeentity.workflow in
	(SELECT 
		jiraworkflows.workflowname
	FROM 
		jiraworkflows
	WHERE 
		jiraworkflows.descriptor like '%com.company.plugin%');

Murat BALKAS May 26, 2015

Thanks for this SQL. Helped me for checking if "JIRA Workflow Toolbox" plugin used or not. Murat

0 votes
BBC Application Admin Team August 11, 2020

Hey,

I've tried the above SQL query, as well as the console script from here -

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-find-all-workflows-which-are-using-postfunctions-of-a/qaq-p/175074

I'm only getting workflows that are using JMWE for post functions returned. Neither method seems to find workflows that are using JMWE for validation.

Is anyone else finding the same? / Found a solution?

Note: We have a very large Jira instance so its not feasible for me to start manually downloading the XML for them all. Thanks

BBC Application Admin Team August 11, 2020

Found the answer to the above - script at the very bottom of the thread works fine.

0 votes
Cyril Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

Go to the workflows section in the administration area. Right click on the XML link beside all the workflows you want to search and save them as a files to your local computer. Then search each file for what you need.

If you don't know what text to search for in the workflow then create a test workflow and add functionality from the plugin to it. See what got added to that one. From there you should be able to figure our your search string(s).

Suggest an answer