Find issues that need to be worked on now based on duedate and origionalEstimate

Hans Menzi February 3, 2013

I would like to do something like the following in JQL that would show issues that I need to start in less than a week based on the estimate and due date I specified.

(duedate - origionalEstimate) < 1w

Am I just not thinking about this in the right way?

I know I can do "duedate < 4w" but I want to take into account the origionalEstimate.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

You can't do arithmetical expressions in JQL. Script runner jql functions include expression function, there's an example for almost exactly what you want to do in the docs.

I saw that article in my search. I am unsure if it would do what I need, but I would need to install a beta version of the plugin (Version 2.1-BETA-3) and upgrade my JIRA instance to have it work...

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

The latest version is beta-8. The only beta aspect is the jql functions, but I think I am more or less done with beta testing anyway. But yeah, it requires 5.1.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Ah, I see what you are trying to accomplish now. Right now JIRA doesn't have functionality that allows you to compare two fields like that (maybe there's a plugin that extends the JQL for those fields?). Have you considered using a GreenHopper board and giving the issues rank to more easily keep track of what to do first?

0 votes

Ranking is too manual...

0 votes

Except that issues would not correctly show up in the right order. If I were to sort by due date, and then by estimate and I have two issues one with a March due date that takes 1 week and the other with a April due date that takes 2 months, they are going to be our of order.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

You could just use that filter, configure your columns to show original estimate and then sort by that value so that you see the most important issues at the top/bottom.

Suggest an answer