Find inactive projects in JIRA

Sivaz January 24, 2013

Hi,

Is there a way to determine how many projects in my instance have not been used in the past 6 months? I.e. no issues created or modified not even comments added. I tried to think of using JQL but couldnt figure a way out.

Admin changes to projects can be ignored.

TIA

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013
select * from project where key not in (select distinct(pkey) from jiraissue where updated > "insert your date here")

If you have confluence as well, you can run the SQL report in there using bob Swift's SQL plugin.

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013
Sivaz January 29, 2013

Thank you very much. The following is the query I have used.

select pname from project where ID not in (select distinct(project) from jiraissue where updated > '2012-07-01 00:00:00');

Jason Smith February 4, 2015

Neither of those queries worked for me. The first one didn't because pkey is deprecated, and the second one uses the "wrong" date format. This is what worked for me: select pname from project where ID not in (select distinct(project) from jiraissue where updated > '01-JAN-12');

David Wu May 24, 2016

assume today is 20 May 2016 following sql list all projects with issue created/updated in past month:

select * from project where id in (select distinct(project)
from jiraissue where updated > to_date('20/04/2016','dd/mm/yyyy'))

16 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

You can do a reverse stuff using JQL, "updatedDate >= -180d ORDER BY resolved DESC", save it as filter and create a Issue Statistics gadget with Project as the key. It will list me all the projects which are active in last 6 months.

Everything remaining is unused.

Katie Kennedy February 21, 2019

Is there a way ot do this using postgres?

Thanks

Jesse Wisener May 30, 2019

Great option, thanks.

2 votes
Team FLYERALARM June 2, 2016
#projects without any updated issues within the last 6 month
select pname, lead,pkey from project where id NOT in (select distinct(project) from jiraissue where updated > date_sub(now(),interval 6 month)) 
1 vote
Great Sage February 19, 2020

In the cloud version, you can view when the last modified issue in the 'view projects' screen. 

View projects.PNG 

Brandon Pierce June 16, 2020

Had originally posted I couldnt find the column but I was on the general Project table not the table in Settings.

For anyone who made the same mistake as me, go to the Gear/Settings Icon, select Projects and under Manage Projects you will see the table that includes the column in the screenshot above.

Thanks!

0 votes
Murat Sahan July 22, 2019

Hi guys, I cant make this work, and especially not the select command. Can someone please show a working search just copied and pasted? 

Thanks in advance 

0 votes
Jose Zuniga September 19, 2018

I did it with the last date updated per project with SubFactory

select * from (

select project, updated,

max(updated) over (partition by project) as max_update
from jiraissue
) temp
where updated = max_update

Joshua McManus October 25, 2018

Can you provide some more information about this Jose? I don't know where to make the search and can't find information about SubFactory

Jose Zuniga October 25, 2018

Hello Joshua, did you tried to run this query on your DB?

SubFactory is a term for a temporary table created (in this case temp) and selecting those values from the temporary table

0 votes
Brad Apps April 9, 2015

btw. fixed query from @Matthew Cobby :

select pkey from project where ID not in (select distinct(PROJECT) from jiraissue where  updated > date_sub(now(), interval 31 day));

showing all project keys for all project that didn't have updated JIRA since 31 days

Katie Kennedy February 21, 2019

Is there a way to do this using postgres?

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

Jira does not support this feature at the moment.

This is a feature request submitted in Nov 2012. here's the link to it. Feel free to go in and vote for this feature request.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-30664?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel#issue-tabs

Rahul

Suggest an answer