Find idle/inactive users in jira 4.1.2

Alok Agnihotri February 9, 2015

Hi,

We need to find the number of users in JIRA 4.1.2 who are not connected to any issue and only belong to group "jira-users". Later we will delete these users to reduce the number of users.

Please suggest a efficient method to achieve this.

Thank You!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2015

Hey Alok!

I came up with some queries for the JIRA database that can help you on that. See below:

SELECT
	m.user_name AS "Username",
 	(count(distinct c.id) + count(distinct a.sink_node_id) + count(distinct j.id) + count(distinct w.id)) AS "Activity Count"
FROM
	membershipbase m
 	FULL OUTER JOIN changegroup c ON c.author = m.user_name
   	FULL OUTER JOIN worklog w ON w.author = m.user_name
   	FULL OUTER JOIN userassociation a ON a.source_name = m.user_name
	FULL OUTER JOIN jiraaction j ON j.author = m.user_name
WHERE
	m.group_name IN ('jira-users')
GROUP BY m.user_name
ORDER BY 2 DESC

Considers how many of the following activities the user has performed:

• Changes to issues (edits to any field and workflow transitions) > changegroup
  • Work logs > worklog
  • Votes and watches > userassociation
  • Comments > jiraaction

SELECT
	m.user_name AS "Username",
	count(i.id) AS "Issues Assigned"
FROM 
	membershipbase m
	JOIN jiraissue i ON i.assignee = m.user_name
WHERE
	m.group_name IN ('jira-users')
GROUP BY m.user_name
ORDER BY 2 DESC;

Counts how many issues were assigned to that user.

warning Be aware that those queries were designed for a PostgreSQL database and may need syntax changes in order to be used on other database types.

Cheers!

Joao

Alok Agnihotri February 10, 2015

Hi Joao, Thank you so much for the response....It's quite helpful. One more query, We have logon info(login records), which is displayed in user browser(Jira 4.1.2) that can be used to estimate user's involvement? So can you suggest where to look for this login records in DB if they are not encrypted. I have seen many users with no login records on user browser. Appreciate your help!

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2015

"not connected to any issue" That's a very nebulous requirement. 4.1.2 is before my time, and it also seems to be before change history was recorded, so this makes things a little bit simpler. However, it did already have user custom fields. Do those count? Do comments? Do worklogs? Do mentions?

Suggest an answer