Find custom field with given ID

Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2014

Hi, 

I created a staging server from a SQL dump of my production server. 

On staging server, I see this warning: 2014-10-02 15:10:32,641 http-bio-8080-exec-14 INFO avaishnav 910x56110x1 ksrama 10.201.89.189 /rest/configuration-manager/1.0/snapshots [fields.layout.field.AbstractFieldLayoutManager] Field layout contains non-orderable field with id 'customfield_16550'.

How do I go about finding which custom field is that? 

When I go to a custom field's edit screen on production and change the ID in the URL to 16500; I get this error:

Oops - an error has occurred

Please use your browser to go back and try again.
Any idea how to go about fixing this? 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2014

This usually happens when you've installed a plugin that provides a custom field type, created a field of that type, then removed the plugin without deleting the field first.  JIRA has a reference to a field, but can't find the code to support it because you've removed it.

There's no easy fix.  Start with "select * from customfield where id = 16500" and see what that says, you should at least be able to work out what type of field it was.

1 vote
Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2014

Hey Nic, 

I found the field - it's from the com.tempoplugin.tempo-teams:team.customfield. 

I am looking in the default field configuration but I don't see this field. I don't know which field configuration is throwing this warning. I guess I will get in touch with the Tempo guys to figure out how to go about fixing this warning. 

Thank you Nic, that was very helpful - good first step. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2014

Ah. You may well need to re-install the plugin, delete the field and then remove the plugin. This is because JIRA can't get a handle on fields that it can't find the code for. Because there's no code, it doesn't know what to do with the field for a lot of things, including delete.

0 votes
VIKAS SINGH November 26, 2020

Unexpected character ('B' (code 66)): expected a valid value (number, String, array, object, 'true', 'false' or 'null') at input location [1,2

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2020

Posting a random error message, out of context, on a 6 year old question, is not going to get you much.

I would recommend asking a proper question in a new posting.  (proper = giving the context of what you're doing, and how and where the error happens)

Suggest an answer