Find all custom fields created by an admin

Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2014

Hi,

I am trying to clean up our JIRA projects and field mappings.

Right now we have fields that not required in every project showing up in every project.

On a per project basis, I want to look at how many fields are actually set in tickets.

If I want to only look at custom fields created by an admin (i.e. Ignore all system fields, and custom fields created by plugins) - is looking at the schema attribute in the /rest/api/2/field the right place?

Right now, I see that schema differentiates a system field from a custom field by using the 'system' and 'custom' key. So I can use this to ignore all fields that are marked as system.

I also see what seems to be a package name as the value of the custom key. So any field that isn't in the com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes package is probably created by and required by a plugin - so I will ignore those also.

Is this a safe bet? Of course, I will be careful when looking at the results - in case some plugin uses the com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes package...

Is there a better way to find the info I am looking for?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2015

Hi Alexey, 

I built upon your advice. 

While I knew my standard fields, I also installed plugins one at a time to see what fields they were creating. So thanks for that. 

0 votes
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2014

1. some plugins are set up to use jira standart fields

2. Some plugins just provide possibility to create custom field - and those custom fields are created by admin actually.

I would recommend you to scan all non-system fields. If all fields by the same plugin are not needed - think about if you need that plugin at all. There is no generic solution on your problem - so after scan and the report you should deside what to delete.

Suggest an answer