Find all Issues associated with an Epic (in a Next-Gen Project)

fabian January 26, 2021

In Issue navigator I am not able to generate a list of Issues that belong to a specific Epic. Example Epic in my project:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-26 um 15.55.52.png

Example JQL:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-26 um 15.57.05.png

I get the same for query "Epic Link" = "AD3-702" and even when I use the UI:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-26 um 15.58.40.png

What am I missing?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2021

@fabian you can query on next-gen epics using the parent =. If you want to combine Epics from both project types, an example of such a query would be:
 "Epic Link" = NPC-6 OR parent = NJDP-5

The Parent field can also be selected as a column in the Global Issue Navigator and exported from Jira.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

This is great to know. It looks like the "parent" accessor in JQL in a Next-gen project will find:

• the parent Epic of a Story (if one exists), or
  • the parent Story of a Sub-task (if one exists).

This "expected behavior" has been missing from Classic projects forever.

I suspect that this is likely within JQL only (so when searching issues, in filters, etc) for Next-gen projects.

Be warned that the "Parent" accessor in Jira Automation does not always behave this way (even in a Next-Gen project).

A manually triggered rule that just runs a "For Parent" branch, logging the results, easily verifies this.

However, the smart value {{issue.parent}} will find either type of parent. The inconsistency (in automation) is unfortunate.

0 votes
Ameet Phadnis March 23, 2022

Please try this project = BSE AND parent = BSE-1 

0 votes
fabian January 28, 2021

Thank you very much for the detailed answers!

What still is not clear to me, where do I find the proper "Epic Key" or "Epic Name"? I cannot find a field called "Epic Name": Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-28 um 17.17.05.png

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

A ha. I see now that you are using a Next-Gen project (not a Classic project) in Jira Cloud. I've tagged your question to help people realize that.

I haven't used Automation with Next-Gen projects yet. So I'm going to step out here, sorry. I plan to learn more (and will watch this thread), but I don't have the time for that rabbit hole right now.

I'm guessing that Next-gen projects don't have an "Epic Name" field (all Classic projects do). That shouldn't matter, because I don't think you want your rule to use the "Epic Name" field anyway.

Also, since your query didn't return any results, then we see that the "Epic Link" field in Next-Gen projects does not behave the same as in Classic projects. In a Classic project, all Stories and Sub-tasks under an Epic will be found with a query like that.

Some unfortunate additional complexity being brought into play, due to the differences between Classic and Next-gen projects (as seen by automation).

Anyone know of any good articles or documentation about the differences between the project types as they relate to Automation?

fabian January 30, 2021

Yes, Next-Gen... that's right.

And now? :D

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2021

It looks like you're on the Standard (paid) plan, so you could try reaching out to Atlassian Support. You're trying to do something reasonable. Give them something they can reproduce (your query which returns nothing). They might offer a solution, or validate that this is not yet supported for Next-Gen. Sharing what you learn back in this thread will help others. Best wishes.

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2021

Hello @fabian ,

As @Mykenna Cepek  suggested.

Please use the following to get list of issues linked to an epic.

project = "Project Name" and "Epic Link" = "Epic Key" ( eg. ABC-123)

Thanks

fabian January 28, 2021

If I choose correctly, as of my screenshot example in the first pose, what is meant to be the "Epic Key then I don't get any results still:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-28 um 17.21.20.png

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2021

You have two different things going on here.

First, the "Epic Name" isn't quite what you might think it is. The text "Systema TS 2021" as shown in your original post screen shots actually comes from the "Summary" field in the Epic. There is a separate field for Epics in Jira called "Epic Name".

Typically people will create Epics so that the "Summary" and the "Epic Name" fields contain the same text. This minimizes confusion. But Jira allows you to have them be different.

The second difficulty is how you are searching for things. Let's look at the SQL for each:

"Epic Name" = "abc"

This will find all Epics which have the Epic Name field set to the given value. It will find at most one Epic (assuming you didn't use wildcard characters). So this JQL was searching for an Epic, not the children of an Epic.

"Epic Link" = PROJ-1234

This will again find a specific Epic, just using a different field to do it.

parentEpic = PROJ-2345

This will find all issues that are "underneath" the given epic. However, this will include all Story-level issues as well as Sub-tasks. It's likely you don't want Sub-tasks in your list, so instead use...

parentEpic = TO-108 and issuetype in standardIssueTypes()

This will exclude Sub-task level issues in the results.

You can read more about the "parentEpic" function and other JQL features here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-functions/

Best wishes!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events