Find a deleted ticket

Maria Alberta February 24, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Getting help with JIRA Service Desk

Hello, i had a ticket in the que "waiting on me" and clicked on the "x" instead of on the ticket.

Where can i find it now? There's any way to recover it?

Thanks,

M.A.

3 answers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2017

Deleted issues are gone. The best practice is to not allow anyone delete permission. I suggest closing with a resolution of Deleted. The forum is full of people needing to get issues back they accidentally deleted. If nothing else, since JIRA will not reuse the number, someone will ask what happened to the missing issue. I normally use a special transition called Delete that can only be done by the project lead that requires a reason for deleting it and sets the resolution in the post function.  

0 votes
Deepak KS September 9, 2021

Why not Jira has a simple feature of Bin?, all the deleted stuff can reside there and the owner can take a look at it later and decide what to do with it.

Anyone can delete stuff by mistake and later realise its a huge mistake in Jira. I feel system should have a mechanism to recover it from the user's bin, and not to reach out to admin for such simple stuff.

It's time for Jira to add a new feature of Bin.

Cheers.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2021

When I first ran into this, the explanation was a pretty standard one - the developers for Jira never had it high on the list of things to do.  Relative to all the other things on the list, there were few customers interested in it (that's actually still true), there's a simple method to avoid it (don't allow delete), and the code is absolutely not "simple".   It would require a lot of effort to add a feature that few people have asked for and there's a hundred and eleventy-twelve things higher up the to-do list.

A bin is not just a case of putting an object into a different container.  You have to think about how to preserve all the data without changing it, how to make it recoverable, how to find it given you've effectively said "I don't want to see this any more", and, and, and.  I was talking to Atlassian about archiving (which was much more popular a request) over a decade ago and seeing how complex that was - it took 8 years before archiving started to appear.

But over the years, I've also learned that a bin is actually a bad thing to give to ordinary users.  Rather than an essay on psychology and why, I'll turn the question around a bit:

Why are your people creating issues that they then delete?  And then change their mind about deleting?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2021

@Deepak KS , I agree wit Nic here. Basically don’t allow the use of delete. Build projects and workflows that allow users to close issues with resolutions like: not needed, duplicate, won’t do, etc.

another crazy idea…

If you want you could create a project called “BIN” or “TRSH” and use the Move feature to move issues there. Basically this transfers issues out of your projects into a bin project where you can save them as long as you wish. However this is nowhere near a perfect solution and won’t always work for you I expect. 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2021

Spot on - you should have at least one "decided we won't do anything more on this issue" resolution anyway, there's always going to be issues that can be closed with that outcome.  That, combined with "don't allow delete" gives you better reporting and you'll find it encourages your people to report issues better, in ways that mean they don't feel a need to reach for "delete".

In the places where I've set up, or inherited, a "bin project", it's been interesting to monitor its usage.  On the "initial delete" side, you see it get used a lot by people who used to click delete, but then as people start to grasp that it's a waste of time creating issues they are going to delete, the usage tails off, and the type of stuff going into it changes from mostly rubbish to almost entirely "stuff we don't want any more and we're doing some housekeeping" (which is actually the candidates for archiving rather than bin). 

Basically, the numbers here tell us that instead of having the overhead of a "bin", it's more productive to encourage people not to create rubbish...

Deepak KS September 10, 2021

I'm sorry i don't agree with you Nic and I'm not as my thoughts are different. 

When users have an option to delete, we do delete. Delete can be intentionally or it could be a mistake. Have you not deleted anything by mistake?

I actually deleted a ticket which I wanted, thinking I dont need it, it was my mistake I did not read what I was deleting. If this can happen to me it can happen to anyone, we are humans and we do mistakes.

I never knew retrieving a ticket in Jira was this difficult, to retrieve one ticket I should ask my enterprise admin to restore it from the backup, sounds ridiculous isn't it? to me that makes no sense.

If Jira cannot implement a simple feature of "Bin", with a simple excuse - "there's a hundred and eleventy-twelve things higher up the to-do list.", to me that's not a justification. 

This is not the end of the world, tomorrow there could be an another tool with with much more features. we simply move on.

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2021

>Delete can be intentionally or it could be a mistake. Have you not deleted anything by mistake?

Yes, and then made changes such that I can't make that mistake again.  In Jira terms, do what everyone is recommending - don't allow delete.

>If Jira cannot implement a simple feature of "Bin", with a simple excuse - "there's a hundred and eleventy-twelve things higher up the to-do list.", to me that's not a justification.   

To be fair, I should have clarified it with "yet".  "We're not doing it until after we have done all the other more important things" is more accurate.  But it's a perfectly good justification.  Let's flip the question - how would you justify doing a less important thing before the more important ones?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2017

Maria,

If i am reading your issue/question correctly I believe that you did not delete any issue but rather you delete the queue. You said that you clicked on the "x". If that "x" is the "x" that appears to the right of the queue when it is selected and you clicked it and answered yes to delete then all you did was delete the queue which is simply a filter. If this is the case then you simply need to recreate the queue by clicking the "+ add queue". Of course you need to know what the queue represented in order to recreate but should be easy enough.

Please let me know if this is not what happened and maybe I can help further. 

Suggest an answer