Find Backlog issues which are set to done within the backlog

Luis Wilson August 19, 2022

So currently out application uses the API to keep track of tickets for report purposes.

These are the current scenarios.

1. Issues are within a sprint. Can use the API to get all the tickets from current and past sprints. (Issue will have a sprint id assigned to it).

2. Issue is within the backlog. Can use the API to get all current tickets within the backlog.

These work fine for us currently.

Our issue is we are losing tickets which have their status set to done/completed from within the backlog.

As they are never assigned to a sprint scenario 1 never applies to this ticket and we are unable to get it via this method.

As they are removed from the backlog once completed/set to done we are no longer able to use scenario 2 to retrieve the issue.

Is there a way that i can retrieve these lost tickets (Aside from referring to their key directly) such as maybe retrieving all issues with a specific board id?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2022

As Trudy says, there's no direct way to do this because boards are not containers of issues.

The closest you can get would be to run a search for "status = done and sprint is empty".   That will find issues that have been completed outside a sprint, but it can't catch issues that have been in a sprint, not completed in the sprint and then completed before the next sprint starts, or removed from future sprints and completed.

Luis Wilson August 25, 2022

Hi and thanks Nic/Trudy.

I was able to find somewhat of a solution by searching for every status = done/resolved/completed etc; condition and running that last

It introduced a new issue in which it would return the type Issue which contained less information than the AgileIssue type.

As such i then had to do a unique search to get the AgileIssue variant for each key one by one. This provided the details i required for each completed ticket which was being lost.

a bit of a roundabout way to find the solution but it works so thank you!

If you can think of a less convoluted way please do let me know!

Thanks again!

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022

Hello @Luis Wilson 

Can you provide the details of how you are retrieving the data you are getting?

Is this being used for Company Managed or Team Managed projects?

Issues don't store a board ID, as their appearance on a board is based on the board filters. They can be included in any number of boards, and that can change at any time.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events