Filters are the only way to combine scrum and kanban projects in jira?

Neelam Malik September 8, 2014

In my company, there are developers shared across multiple projects and those projects are on scrum and kanban boards. Management needs a single board where they can see the progress across these projects and till now this is achieved by creating a third scrum board and by using filters we display the user stories from all the scrum and kanban projects.

So below are my doubts on this.

1.Using filters is the only way to achieve this?

2.How to track individual efforts? using tempo can be a solution?

3.How to measure the progress of the projects, by looking at charts of single board or by looking at the individual scrum and kanban boards?

Please guide .

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2014

I'm not sure you're understanding what boards are here.  

I prefer to explain boards as "views" of JIRA data.  They aren't entities in their own right really, you have a set of issues, which are divided into projects, and have other attributes that allow you to group them.

A board is ONE way of looking at a sub-set of your big pile of issues.  A board runs a filter to pull out the list of what it should be looking at.  It doesn't share information or have anything to do with other boards, all it does is look at some of your pile.  A bit like going in to a garage/showroom and saying "show me all your blue cars please" - your board will only contain blue cars, even though the car seller has cars in all sorts of colours.

So.

1.  No, there's loads of ways, but it requires that you understand what your boards are - they show you filtered results
  2. Depends on how you want to track it.  If your users are happy to use worklogs, then yes, Tempo is an excellent way to track what effort users are putting in.  It might not be the right tracking for you though, so you'll need to think through your processes
  3. Depends.  If you want a report on project progress, look at the project.  If you want to track the project via one board, use the board tracking, but be careful to ensure the board does only represent that one project.  Or look at your board and understand what projects it covers.

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2014

you can use dashboards to display the information from filters. You can also have scrum boards in the dashboard to display multiple ones.

Suggest an answer