Filter to Pick up Requests for all users in Current Group (Dynamic Passing of Group Name)

Chris McInnes January 14, 2014

Hi Guys,

Got an Extreme filter question I was hoping someone could help me out with.

I want to create a FIlter/Dashboard Gadget that will show a User All the Requests made by everybody in their Team/Group.

I know you can do

status != closed AND reporter in membersOf("Type Group Name Here")

But in this instance I would have to create an individual filter and dashboard for every group.

What I really want to be able to do is pass dynamically through Current Users Group Membership, eg

status != closed AND reporter in membersOf(CURRENTUSER.GROUPS)

Is this possible?

Thanks in Advance

Chris

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

No, and it's unlikely to work anyway.

Think about the result of "Currentuser.groups" - it is going to include "everyone who can log in". Even if you perform radical surgery on your groups and educate your admins that "yes, every new user gets way too many groups, you'll need to remove them from most of them every time", you're still going to end up with far too wide a remit. So you might as well just have a report that says "status != closed"

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the feedback, but we are using CROWD to link in with our Active Directory and already have the users associated with their teams/groups.

Our business runs in Pods or Cells or 3-5 people where they all tend to work across the same jobs so i'm trying to find a way to give the whole pod transparency on any Issues raised by their fellow team members.

Is there another way this can be achieved?

Thanks

Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

The groups and how they are done aren't really the issue - the problem is that the groups of the current user are almost always going to end up saying "include all users", so it's not really an approach that's going to help you.

Your best option really is to define filters for each team/group as you suggested.

Thanks Nic,

The problem with defining a filter per Group is I then have to define a different dashboard per Group as well which is going to over complicate things (we've got about 20 groups)

Is there a way I can create individual filters but limit who can see what gadget within the same Dashboard? (I know i'm probably pushing my luck here but worth a go)

:)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2014

Well, the only other option involves coding - you'd need to write a JQL function that does something like "same groups as current user but excluding any of the login groups".

Suggest an answer