Filter subscriptions - send to custom field group?

Andris Bērziņš
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

I managed to make a subscription to a filter that sends e-mails to a group of users when the issue's due date has arrived (and it's not resolved yet). Is it possible to send these e-mails to a group that has been set in a custom field?

For example, let's say I have a GroupPicker custom field called "Responsible group". Then I have 3 issues A, B and C. Group1 is responsible for A and B. Group2 is responsible for C. All of the issues have the same due date.

Now, what I'd like to happen is, when the due date arrives, send all members of Group1 a mail about issues A and B, but Group2 - about issue C. And I'd like these e-mails to be sent periodically until they are resolved.

I was thinking about making the filter based on currentUser() being in "Responsible group", but I think JQL doesn't support that. Is there a way to do what I'm trying to? Maybe I need a plugin for that (can I make a plugin that runs itself on a timer)?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2012

Do you have many groups? It seems you're almost there with the out-of-the-box functionality. If you have a smallish number of responsible groups, you could just manually create that many filters and subscriptions.

e.g.

Filter: project=PROJ and MyGroupPicker="Group1" and duedate < startOfDay() and resolution is empty
Subscription: Email to Group1

Filter: project=PROJ and MyGroupPicker="Group2" and duedate < startOfDay() and resolution is empty
Subscription: Email to Group2

etc.

If it's a larger number of groups, you could write a throwaway script to submit the HTTP requests to generate the filters and subscriptions. Maintaining a plugin is expensive; I wouldn't recommend it for a simple task like this unless there's no other option.

Andris Bērziņš
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

Hmm, I hadn't considered doing it with a script, thanks :)

Suggest an answer