Filter - specify columns returned in filter results?

Marion Ruth June 19, 2013

I have a "shared" filter, but want to ensure that the same columns display for whoever runs it and it not being contingent of the end user having to hide columns in their own view after the filter is run.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2013

You can use "tools -> set columns for this filter" on saved filters.

When people visit the shared filter, they'll get your columns at first (they can opt to swap to their own if they want, but that won't alter what you've set)

Marion Ruth June 25, 2013

Nic - I am an "ondemand" user. and I also do have admin privledges, but I do not have that option in my tools. but I am looking at a report after this initial save/share.

Is this option a one time option when creating the filter?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2013

Admin rights give you admin rights. Not "everything", and it's not relevant when we're talking about sharing filters.

You DO have the right to set columns on any filter that you own. You won't get it on filters that belong to other people. You can only set the column order when you open a filter in the issue navigator, you won't get it on reports/gadgets/etc.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Filters#UsingFilters-Definingafilter-specificcolumnorder

1 vote
Hovis Biddle September 20, 2017

Quick answer for modern JIRA (2017):

As long as you're the owner of the filter, you can just add/remove/reorder columns on the filter's list view.  Make sure your column settings are 'Filter' and not 'My Defaults' or 'System'.jiracolumnfilter.jpg

P.S. Wow, Atlassian crushes images really badly.

Monica Ross August 14, 2018

@Hovis Biddle is there any reason you can think of that this would not work? I'm the jira admin and i own the filter (literally just created it) but when i try to change the filter columns nothing changes. I went into my own defaults and made changes and that worked, but obviously won't get the end result of the correct columns showing for other users... 

Monica Ross August 14, 2018

@Hovis Biddle would my defaults override the filter view? that seems like it could be the case but also seems like it would render the "filter" columns feature completely useless..  

Like Vanessa Grimes likes this
Antônio Duarte September 3, 2018

For me happens the same. I would like that the original filter columns should be displayed always, but instead, what is show is always "My Default" option, that always overrides whatever had been configured previously as the filter default columns. As Monica Ross says, behaving this way, the "filter" columns feature is useless...

Like Vanessa Grimes likes this
Vanessa Grimes December 5, 2018

I am having this same issue as Monica & Antonio.  Trying to find if this has been reported as a bug to vote on.

Like Antônio Duarte likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

It was reported, but closed as the current behaviour is the intended behaviour.

Monica Ross December 5, 2018

@Vanessa Grimes the only way to override it that i've found is to change the system view to something that encompasses all your filters. it's very annoying and i'm not sure why they would want your system preferences to overview any filter views. 

Vanessa Grimes December 5, 2018

Thanks y'all. 

Suggest an answer