Filter results and group by labels

Tony Kidman May 20, 2014

I currently have four filters that are grouping tasks. These tasks are pre-sprint tasks that I would like to be able to have visible as part of pre-sprint prioritisation work.

The tasks are filtered by labels that have been applied. We have done this to allow for visibility of priority and the labels have allowed us to assign specific colours for quick visual guide.

e.g. blocked, to do, in progress and done.

I would like to be able to create a dashboard filter to combine these four filters yet still group them accordingly.

The current filter is:

status is (OPEN) AND labels = "[to do label]"

status is (OPEN) AND labels = "[in progress label]"

status is (OPEN) AND labels = "[done label]"

status is (OPEN) AND labels = "[blocked label]"

By creating the four filters we can assign a color to the panel as the dashboard filter does not allow for visual representations.

My questions are:

* Can the above filters be combined to display together with a single filter that groups each label?

* If so can this same filter also sort the groups in order - blocked, to do, inprogress, done?

If anyone has an answer or can point me to the right documentation so I can help myself I would be very appreciative.

Many Thanks

Tony

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2014

You can simply join the clauses together with AND to get the overall list.

But this doesn't do "grouping", and it never will. A filter really is just a list of issues, there's no actual data returned by a filter, just pointers to issues. There's nothing in there to group by or anything else.

Things like grouping, ordering, summarising results and so-one are ALL done by whatever you are using to display the filter.

Before you point out the "order by" clause, yes, that *is* saved by a filter, but it's only used when the display method implements something to read and use it. The order by is picked up and done at display time, not search time.

So I'm afraid the answer is "no" really.

Suggest an answer