Filter out specific assignees without filtering unassigned

Tony Daily July 23, 2015

I need to create a filter for my Kanban board to remove certain assignees. So, for example, if I want to only show assignees on my project team I set up a filter that removes items assigned to Development and R&D. I've done this by adding one of the following filters:

• not (assignee = development or assignee = r&d)
  • assignee != development or assignee != r&d

Both of the above filters remove items assigned to these specific users, which is what I want. However, they also remove items that are unassigned. I need items that are unassigned to remain in the list. I'm a bit confused because nowhere in the filters above have I asked it to remove unassigned or EMPTY assignee issues.

So, instead of the expected behavior, the filters are actually acting like this:

• not (assignee = development or assignee = r&d or assignee = Unassigned)
  • assignee != development or assignee != r&d or assignee != EMPTY

Is there a reason for this? Is there a different filter I can use to remove items assigned to a specific user(s) from the list AND still show unassigned items?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2015

Mmmh. I would simply try it like this:

project=xxx and .... and (assignee not in (development,"r&d") or assignee is empty)

Tony Daily August 5, 2015

Worked! Thank you!!! New filter is:

project="TESTPROJECT" and (assignee not in (development, devtm) or assignee is empty)

Like # people like this
Lael January 25, 2021

this fixed this exact issue for me. I was trying to apply it as a Kanban board Quick Filter. Thanks!

Suggest an answer