Filter names visible

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2013

HI

Our JIRA instance is accesible by our customers and we have issue level security to restrict what gets seen by our customers.

However, if any end-user creates a filter and accidently shares it with everyone then the filter name becomes searchable to the customers.

I understand when customers click on the filter it returns no results, but we do not want those filter names to even come up in filter searches for customers.

Right now we have around 300 filters which is shared to everyone.

How do we fix this?

Rahul

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2013

Manually - you're going to need to change the shares from "everyone" to something more restrictive.

The problem here is that Jira has no way of knowing what filters you might want to hide, and is relying on your users who define them to know who they should be restricted to. If they put in the wrong thing, you're stuck.

The closest I got to a fix for this was a minor hack in the .vm that controlled sharing, one that removed "everyone" as an option for sharing.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2013

Thanks Nic, is there a way we can automatically make it more restrictive i.e. some script or something.

Manually going into each filter 300 times is time consuming.

Thanks for your quick response.

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2013

I think you might be able to add some javascript that might remove "everyone" as an option, but I don't know javascript well enough (as I mentioned, I did it by hacking a .vm).

That's only half the answer though - it'll stop new ones being set up, but not the 300 existing problem ones. For those, I'm a bit stuck - I *think* I'd look at the script runner to find and remove all the "anyone" shares from the filters, but I don't know if it could be done!

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2013

There is no permissions around filters except for the restriction a user adds during sharing but you can decide who can share filters. I think it is more like granting admin rights. People should be careful about who they share stuff with.

0 votes
Ritchie Gu March 9, 2016

Hi, I tried the above changes as well as https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-remove-the-everyone-share-option-from-filters-boards-301663662.html in JIRA 7, it didn't work for me.

My guess is the warning message some kind of locked up the ability of modifying this jsp file?

Evangelos Vrocharis August 25, 2016

Indeed this has stopped working in JIRA 7 unfortunately. I wonder why that is. If anyone manages to make it work let us know!

Jenny Bellas February 16, 2017

Also found that this fix is not working for us in JIRA 7. Anyone fins a fix yet?

0 votes
Gavad Khan (PS) November 14, 2014

I have tested below steps and it is working fine for me with JIRA 6.3.8. Might be helpful for you.

Remove "Everyone" & selected groups (jira-users, jira-developers, confluence-users, stash-users, Sapies, Clients, inactive-users, Atlassian Tools Support) from Filters/Boards share option
  • Stop JIRA
  • Replace the following content in "<JIRA_TOMCAT_DIR>/atlassian-jira/template/aui/edit-share-types.jsp" file:

FROM

<select class="select medium-field" id="share_type_selector">

<ww:iterator value=".">

<option value="<ww:property value="./shareType"/>"><ww:property value="./shareTypeLabel"/></option>

</ww:iterator>

</select>

<ww:iterator value="." status="'typeStatus'">

<span id="share_<ww:property value="./shareType"/>" <ww:if test="@typeStatus/first == false">style="display:none"</ww:if>>

<ww:property value="./shareTypeEditor" escape="false"/>

<ww:if test="./addButtonNeeded == true">

<span class="addShare" id="share_add_<ww:property value="./shareType"/>"><span class="icon jira-icon-add"></span> <ww:text name="'common.sharing.add.share'"/> </span>

</ww:if>

</span>

TO

<select class="select medium-field" id="share_type_selector">

<ww:iterator value=".">

<ww:if test="./shareTypeLabel != 'Everyone'">

<option value="<ww:property value="./shareType"/>"><ww:property value="./shareTypeLabel"/></option>

</select>

<ww:iterator value="." status="'typeStatus'">

<span id="share_<ww:property value="./shareType"/>" <ww:if test="@typeStatus/first == false">style="display:none"</ww:if>>

<ww:property value="./shareTypeEditor" escape="false"/>

<ww:if test="./shareTypeLabel != 'Everyone'">

<ww:if test="./addButtonNeeded == true">

<span class="addShare" id="share_add_<ww:property value="./shareType"/>"><span class="icon jira-icon-add"></span> <ww:text name="'common.sharing.add.share'"/></span>

</span>

• Save & close edit-share-types.jsp file.
  • Replace the following content in "<JIRA_TOMCAT_DIR>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/sharing/share-type-group-selector.vm" file:

FROM

#set( $egroup = $textutils.htmlEncode(${group}) )

<option value="${egroup}">${egroup}</option>

#end

TO

#set( $egroup = $textutils.htmlEncode(${group}) )

#if ($egroup != "jira-users" && $egroup != "jira-developers" && $egroup != "confluence-users" && $egroup != "stash-users" && $egroup != "inactive-users" && $egroup != "Sapies" && $egroup != "Clients" && $egroup != "Atlassian Tools Support")

<option value="${egroup}">${egroup}</option>

#end

#end

• Save & close share-type-group-selector.vm file.
  • Remove the content from "<JIRA_TOMCAT_DIR>/work" directory.
  • Start JIRA.

Suggest an answer