Filter issue by project key

MarcoC April 4, 2013

Hello,

I need to seach in all issue filtering by Project Key (field KEY).

I thought there was this type of filed-filter between the standard ones but I ca't find it. Do I need to create a custom serach filter? Or I am missing something?

Thanks

7 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2013

I'm not quite sure that there is a question here at all.

When you build a filter, the JQL ends up with a clause of "Project = MyProject". (The simple search interface names project as a valid field, and ends up generating that JQL in the background).

So I'm a bit lost on why you're talking about custom search filters or field-filter. You just need to search for your project. There's nothing more to do.

Areik Khan June 5, 2013

You are forcing me to "Switch to Advance" and run JQL Query in order to search by project key .....instead i should have a search option for project key...!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2013

No, sorry, you don't have to use JQL, I just use it because a lot of searches that come up as questions are only answerable in JQL.

The simple search lets you select project as well.

Like # people like this
11 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2013

I don't think the question was very clear and you haven't been very nice to Nic or Bhushan. They aren't paid for this, so please be nice....

I think what you are asking is how to do restrict your search results to a range of issues within a project? You could try this JQL (using advanced search):

issuekey > HSA-100 and issuekey < HSA-121

Don't be afraid of using advanced search, it's often faster.

But what I'd recommend is doing a project search and using an order e.g.

project=HSA order by updated desc

or using a date range

project=HSA and created > startOfday (-14) and created < 0

for anything created in the last two weeks

feel free to contact the "development team", just be polite please.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2013

Hmm trying to upvote your answer puts the count to -2. Strange.

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2013

Hi Bhushan,

Yes, I feel like someone is abusing the karma system, twice in 24 hours it seems

Abyakta Lenka May 16, 2016

Just wanted to thanks Matthew Cobby . I was searching for some thing and i found the answer here . +1

4 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

Have to agree with Nic. This is not really a question at all or the user is looking for something that is not really explained in the question.

If you are using simple search select the project from the dropdown.

If you are using advanced search just say project = <your project key>

Areik Khan June 5, 2013

how can someone say that "This is not really a question at all " if something like that please add header in the top of the page "DONT ASK TECHY QUESTIONS"

Areik Khan June 5, 2013

Bhushan - I dont want to select project because if i select "Project" i will get all the issues created under that project .. what if i would like to search issues which starts with a HSA-101 and end with HSA-120....?????

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2013

I think it's because you didn't really ask a useful question at the beginning. Your original post was phrased as "how do I search for an issue by it's project key", which is pretty much basic in Jira and you didn't explain what you were really asking.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

Haha so much noise for a simple thing :)

Areik I think you got your solution from Mathew and Nic after Nic spent some effort decoding your question :)

This is a good place to find answers and a fun place too. Please try and be nice to people who are trying to help you resolve an issue or provide an answer for your query for free.

You can always also contact Atlassian Support at support.atlassian.com

Cheers

Bhushan

imran ahmed June 5, 2013

Nic i was having same problem as areik's too i found his question sensible and valid

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2013

Imran, it's a perfectly valid question (once we worked out what it really was), and well worth asking, as it's not particularly obvious from the UI or the documentation.

My follow-on question was more about the human side. I've never come across anyone ask for a range of issues like that. I can't actually work out any situation where it's particularly useful

imran ahmed June 5, 2013

Nic, now you are agreed that its a valid question !!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2013

Imran, no. The original question was not valid. The answers given to it answered it. Once we got an explanation of what the actual question was, then yes, that was perfectly valid. But we did not know that until later.

The reasons for needing a range search are also unclear, but that's just me being curious, as I can't imagine a situation where the (second) question is useful

imran ahmed June 5, 2013

Bhushan - I am surprised to hear from you that its a fun place............its so wierd people are usning this community to solve their issues and you are making this as a fun place......i think its should not, its not acceptable .....you can change your community to MSDN or stack overflow or something which is better and not a fun place.

Areik Khan June 5, 2013

Nic - you are a part of issue tracking system (JIRA) and made it public which make your jira users to do RND for the application and there is no doubt that you can expect any silly or serious questions in the community.

This forum states that its -customers forum and community and you have to accept anything and evrything related to this.

2 votes
Areik Khan June 5, 2013

Done tbe afraid i am soft to you alll and .......Thank you all for your swift answer, really appreciated.

2 votes
Areik Khan June 5, 2013

for every issue created by user.......system will generate unique key(HSA-101,HSA-102........) which is labeled as key and now if i want to search my issues i can filter it by "Project", "Assignee", "Created Date"........etc(i want to search issue which starts with HSA-101 AND HSA-120) but i didnt find and option to search by "key"in filter page.......

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

All issues that starts with HSA belong to project HSA. So if you select project HSA you get all the issues with keys that start with HSA.

Areik Khan June 5, 2013

Bhushan and Nic - if you dont have an accurate answer you can help me in getting the contact details of development team i can sort this out with them !!!!!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2013

We have given you an accurate answer to the question you asked. It's not our fault if you ignore the responses.

It actually turns out that you had failed to explain your question properly.

If I have understood your more recent explanation, your question is NOT "I want to search by issue key". It is "I have a project and I want to search by an arbitrary range of issue sequence numbers within that project"

There's no real function in Jira for doing that. Mostly because it's generally useless. People either know their issue key, or they have some other data item they can search on. Dates it was created between are the closest you can get to the sequence number easily (because you know that issue HSA-N was created before HSA-N+1, N+2, N+3 etc)

Could you explain why you want to search on the issue sequence numbers though? That might help us give you a better option. (I've some other ideas, but without knowing the logic behind an arbitrary search, there's no point explaining them, as some will be of no use at all)

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

You can use issuekey in JQL

Search for issues with a particular Issue Key or Issue ID (i.e. the number that JIRA automatically allocates to an Issue).

Supported Operators: =, !=, >, >=, <, <=,IS, IS NOT, IN, NOT IN

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

Areik, please read my response. I said this is not a question or you haven't explained what you clearly want.

You are looking to search for issues in a project between a range of issue keys. Not project key.

Cheers
Bhushan
Areik Khan June 5, 2013

Nic - I thought its a best place to get resolution for my questions may be i am wrong...........

FYI - Any issues raised by Team "A" will share the issue key to Team "B"........

Team ""B" will come back later on and ask me to give details for particular issue key ("HSA-120 to HSA-150") now Team "A" should log in to jira and enter the issue keys and export,forward it to Team B, this is an operational issue i would need help in getting this resolved.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2013

Areik, it is a good place. We're trying to help. We didn't understand your actual question at first because it was not clear - it pointed at project key, and did not mention the "sequence range".

I'm still not entirely sure that "a range of keys" is useful in human terms, but if you think it's useful, I don't know your processes. I've *never* been asked for anything remotely like that since I started using Jira (version 2).

Matthew has given you the best answer you are going to get.

imran ahmed June 5, 2013

I too had face the same problem with unique key I completely agree with Arieik He has a valid question

Areik Khan June 5, 2013

Areik Khan · 1 karma · 1 hour ago

You are forcing me to "Switch to Advance" and run JQL Query in order to search by issue key .....instead i should have a search option for issue key...!!!

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

Yes, we are forcing you to switch to advanced. Mainly because you are doing something so far off the normal ways of working, it's the only way.

It's not scary... don't be afraid of JQL. I'm sure you will be able to handle it!

You have your answer, I've given it to you.

Go & try it.... then come back & say thank you

Like Wallace_Howery likes this
Areik Khan June 5, 2013

Mathew - I already knew about JQL Swithc to Advance you can see mu old posts , i was expecting any other subsequent answers..fine its ok i dont want to trouble you guys thanks for all the answers hope the upcoming builds will understand the customer requirement.

2 votes
Areik Khan June 5, 2013

I dont agree "Nic Brough" say i have a project with 700 issues created under the project and i would like to search mu issue based on the project key...!!! how would i do that ??? any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Areik

Areik Khan June 5, 2013

you may have an option "Switch to Advance" and customise your query "key>= Project-101 AND key<= Project-150"

Like Claudio Maia likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2013

I'm afraid you're missing my point.

"I want to search on project key" - great, all issues belong to a project. Each project has a unique key. So you type "project = X" into the advanced search and you get a list of issues in the project.

I think the problem is you are not explaining what you mean by "search on project key" in your question.

0 votes
Chris Chris October 29, 2013

Is it possible to search by the project key? I'll try to explain a bit better.

We have a project called "Project X" with a project key as "PX". Changing the name of the project to "Project Y" many of my filters break because they were searching for things like Project = "Project X". Instead, i'd like to create a filter based on the key like search where key = "PX". The project name can be changed any time, but the project key isn't very likely to change.

Thanks.

Chris Chris October 29, 2013

Nevermind. I found i can just do project=PX and that works.

Sam Huawey March 12, 2015

I have the same problem like Chris. The standard projectPicker gadget returns value that is equal to project key in DB (e.g. for project TEST it returns project-10200. Unfortunately I could not find a way to use the db key in JQL quieries. I had to retrieve the project name using code in custom control.

Kimball Johnson July 2, 2017

I have to say, this is one of the most tormented conversations I've seen. But I also need the answer to this.

So I'm not really interested in the 'story' about JIRA queries, the philosophy behind the design, or the 'explanations'. 

In this type of scenario, the only thing that works is confirming yes or no to specific questions. If you want to explain why the answer is yes or no, please wait until that question is asked.

So... 

Is it true that a project key consists of a short list of the characters that make up the word that is called the project key?

Yes or no only please...

Is it true that an Issuekey in an advanced query must be represented by a projectkey and a number separated by a hyphen?

Yes or no only please...

Is it true that there is NO WAY to search in the basic, advanced, or JQL search facilities to select issues that match a specific number portion of an issue key?

Yes or no only please...

beg pardon, please replace 'project key' in the first question with the phrase 'project name'

I mean the second occurrence of the phrase project key

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2017

It's "tormented" because the original question was not the actual question the poster had, and it took a while to get the actual question out of them.  Still, we got there in the end.

The answer to your questions are "an issuekey is always <project>-<sequence>". 

There was no search for a range of numbers when the original question was asked.  There is now - you can use the format "issuekey > ABC-123"

Kimball Johnson July 4, 2017

It is tormented because you feel you have to 'tell a story' rather than provide precise answers. 

I provided questions that stipulated 'yes or no only, please'. 

But you just couldn't help yourself. You had to engage in justifying and explaining.

It's a personal trait, and a manner of communicating.

That's all.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2017

No.  Yet again, you have not bothered to read the previous answers.  The "tormented" happened because the wrong question was asked and it took some time to get the questioner round to understanding it.

I explain things when a question is asked in a way that implies someone needs things explaining.

Your questions show that you don't know the basics.  That's fine.  But it's better that you now understand what it does, because if I'd given simple yes/no answers, you would have learned very little, and there's a 99% chance you'd have followed up with a pointless set of questions that have now already been answered.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer