Filter for search by issuekey

YouKnowWho July 28, 2014

Some issue in Product type contains letter in ID e.g K102A, K002A-1, K21G-33

How i can filter this issue? Can I filter all Product issue which contains letter (only issue with letter in ID ?)

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2014

I'm a little confused here. What do you mean by "product type" - what field in Jira is that?

Do you mean it's the Jira Project? So K102A is a Project and K002A-1 is an issue in that project (and K21G-33 is another issue in project K21G?)

If so, then no, it's not available off-the-shelf because the project key is generally handled as a unique identifier, and you wouldn't really expect the letters in the project key to be that informative (they're generally better used as an indicator for humans - project HR is for Human Resource, project FHX is for developing improvements to Mr Flibble's hex vision, and so on)

Two workarounds spring to mind

1. Use the project category instead of the first letter. So you'd put all all the K projects into category K,and then you'll be able to search on "category = K"

2. Use a derived field (e.g. the scripted fields you can do with the script runner addon). If you define them as a direct copy of the project key, but make them text, you'll be able to use wildcard searches on that field.

YouKnowWho July 28, 2014

Sorry, my mistake. I think about New Future when i said Product type.

Generally i have Jira Project. Some New Future have id K102, but other have id K102A or K102A-21
First point(your first idea) is bad, because i wan't search New Future contain other letter then K e.g: I have New Future wiht ID K102, K102A, K102G, K231, K155, K155C, K62
A would like to filtr this New Future, when i have only K102A, K102G, K155C

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2014

I'm sorry, that still makes no sense to me.

What is a "new future"? Is it an issue in a project? If they're issues in the sam project, then they have the same project key. The keys you're quoting here are nonsense - in Jira terms, the best I can imagine is that, K102A, K102G, K231 and so-on are PROJECTS, not issues. K102A-21 is an issue in K102A

So, I'm lost on what you're describing, let alone what you're tyring to do!

YouKnowWho July 29, 2014

We have 3 company(A, B and C). When I create Project in my firm(A) I get a Project ID number e.g K102 but if firm B create Project, they have Project ID e.g K139B. Same in firm C e.g K148C

And now. If I (Firm A) create some issue in my project i get issue ID e.g : K102-1

But if firm B create issue in them project they get ID e.g : K139B-2

And the same in firm C e.g : K148C-2

Now I have thousand issue in different firm(A, B and C). It's really hard to find issue just for Firm B(all with letter B in ID e.g: K139B, K139B-2, K132B ...) or just for C

How I could find issue have ID like that -> K + some number(121) + some letter(A-Z) = (K121B) ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2014

So these arbitrary strings are project keys. The next question is if these projects are limited to the companies.

In other words, if I am in company A, can I only raise issues in projects that belong to me. In your example, company A can only raise issues in K102, they cannot do it in K139B or K148C.

If that is the case then you could be using much more informative project keys for a start, but the really simple answer is "use project categories" as I said earlier.

If that is not true, then you'll need to explain the usage a bit more, because I don't understand what's happening.

YouKnowWho July 29, 2014

Hmm. I can raise issues in all company. Otherwise I'm admin and I need delete some Project from Firm B e.g: I need delete all issues called K139B, but i don't now how many issues is in issue K139B e.g: just K139B or maby K139B-1 and K139B-23 and more more mor. I would like to delete all issues but i must find all. How can I search them?

YouKnowWho July 29, 2014

"Please, confirm that these codes like K139B are PROJECTS and that K139B-1 and K139B-23 are ISSUES in that project? " - Yes

" All issues raised by a company? All issues in a specific project? Both? "- Bot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2014

I have no idea what you can search because you have now contradicted what you said earlier, and it's still no more clear how your Jira is currently configured or used. Please, confirm that these codes like K139B are PROJECTS and that K139B-1 and K139B-23 are ISSUES in that project?

Next, could you confirm exactly what you are searching for. All issues raised by a company? All issues in a specific project? Both?

From what you've just said though, a company can raise issues in different projects. Going back to the las example, company A can raise issues in K102, K139B and K148C. That makes your search for the B/C letter utterly irrelevant because it now has nothing to do with the company.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2014

Ok, so create a search for

Project = K139B and reporter = "company A"

YouKnowWho July 30, 2014

ohh. I can't search by reporter. With company it's example. Forget about it. It's like that:

You are new admin in firm. You must delete some issue(what I said earlier). You just know that You must delete all issue name ID K139B. You don't know how many is this issue e.g just K139B or maby K139-2 and K139-23 and more. You must find all issues and delete them.

Ok I give up this question. I don't know how i can explain it for you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2014

The problem is that it is not clear how your Jira is set up or what you are trying to do.

We don't know how you are entering "company" so we can't tell you how to search for it. It's still unclear what these apparently arbitrary codes are and how they are related. Even your last comment doesn't help:

You say: "You must delete all issue name ID K139B. You don't know how many is this issue e.g just K139B or maby K139-2 and K139-23 and more. You must find all issues and delete them."

What does "issue name ID K139B" mean? You say "issue", but that code is not an issue key, it's probably a project key from what you've said before. "how many is this issue" is totally unclear too - do you mean "how many issues are in project K139B"? If you do, they why are you naming K139-2 and K139-23 - they are in a different project! If you don't mean K138B project and you do mean issues in project K139 as well, then you need to define what they have in common.

I think you need to step back and re-examine your setup and what you are trying to do. Find and delete issues, yes, but what do these issues have in common?

I've imagined lots of different possible setups in my comments above and then tried to give you some ideas on how you might approach this task, but its simply not been possible to work out exactly what you have from what you have said. You have not explained the relationship you have between company, issue and project in any way that makes sense in Jira.

I hope you manage to work it out in the end, I'm really sorry I couldn't help.

YouKnowWho July 31, 2014

Ok. I try do something.

Thanks for desire.

Suggest an answer