Filter Subscription to Individual Users

Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2013

Is there a way to subscribe individual users to a filter. I understand user can do that, but I want it to do it as administrator, rather than asking the user to do it. I would not want to create a group just for this purpose unless I have to.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2013

So it seems there is no way to do it, so I will just mark this answered.

2 votes
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2013

Hi Gaurav,

Apparently, only the owner of a filter is able to make changes to the filter, and also manage the filter subscription for other users/groups/role. And as administrator, apparently you don't have the privilege to make changes to other user filters.

However although you can't directly make changes to the filter owned by other user, you can actually change the filter ownership to other user, or to yourself. This means that a possible workaround for this situation is for you to change the ownership of the filter to yourself, make changes to the filter subscription, and change the filter ownership back to the original owner. More details on this is described in the following documentation:
- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Shared+Filters

I hope that this will help.

Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2013

Thanks Ahmad. I missed to mention that I have created the filter. The question, is how I can subscribe this to an Individual User? I see there is option to select groups for subscription,but I don't see an option to select users.

Like Lois Leonhardi likes this
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2013

Right now there isn't a way to subscribe an induvidual user.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-17783

That improvement request might come close to what you're looking for. If it does then you should comment on that ticket and let us know your use case.

Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2013

Thanks Ivan, JRA-17783 is kind of opposite to my request. That one is to make a group owner of a filter, however, my need is to make an individual subscribe to a filter. I only see groups in subscription option.

1 vote
Robert Walker February 7, 2018

I just created a "Group" for each individual user and now I can subscribe the filter to that group. 

0 votes
Paul Kalathas February 28, 2021

Using Groups is the best solution.  Thanks.

0 votes
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2013

There isn't a way to assign single users into a subscription right now. The alternative though, is to go to that filter and share it with that user with a note to make sure to sign up.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-17783

That improvement request is similar to what you're looking for. You should leave your thoughts there to express your interest.

Jay Skibba August 24, 2017

So it would seem Gaurav's first solution is the best way then.  Create a group with just one user?

Suggest an answer