Filter Result Gadget giving error.

Mohan Kiran June 13, 2013

I have a users in Jira name xyz, abc.

Xyz is a user in ProjectA, but abc is not a user in ProjectA.

xyz created 3 issues for ProjectA.

I have created a search Filter for ProjectA.

Went to adminstration and added gadget Filter Result.

So when i login with xyz i able to see issues, but when i able to login abc that filetr gadet giving error as below.

There are problems with the current configuration for this gadget. The errors below may have been caused by the deletion of entities required by the gadget or by changes to your permissions.

• The selected filter filter-10002 has an error: A value with ID '10002' does not exist for the field 'project'..

I know i am trying to see issues created under that project in that gadget, even he is not a member of that project.

rather than displaying this error. You can display simply No issues found message to non-member of that project. How we can hide that error message in that gadget?

Could you help me out in this, whether my understanding correct or not.

Regards

Mohan Kiran

6 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2013

Simple to explain. Any entity you mention in the filter should be visible to user. If you specify a project that the user can't see, filter will throw error.

If you don't specify any projects, filter will not throw any error but only show the issues in projects visible to him/her.

Administrator created a filter and shared it to all users. I have a project name ProjectA, in that i have only one user name xyz. But the non-member of that project try to access in two-dimensional filter it simply says you dont have to see any issues, it doesn't throw any error. But in case of Filter search it throws error.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2013

It is because of different implementation of the gadgets. They have just handled it differently. Some people might think no error is good but some people might argue that they want to see an error instead of ignoring it silently ;)

0 votes
Jorge Suarez February 20, 2019

This is ridiculous, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-20916 opened to address this and 9 years later no fix.  

As already stated, this is because the filter included a projectID that one of the users does not have access to.  This also used to break gadgets for all users if someone tried to view a gadget with a filter that included a project they dont have access to.

I should be able to create a filter for my project that includes useful results that someone who only has access to a few of the listed projects can still view, instead of a total error and no results (especially a useless error at that).

Granted, if the filter is inclusive of projects that someone does not have access to, it shouldn't give away information, though the projects are already listed in the shared filter query anyways. The proper behavior should be to show partial results and indicate that they are partial because user doesn't have access to projects X, Y, Z....

But 100%, if the projects are listed to filter out results, it should not warn or error at all.   

Example filter [ status = OPEN and project != 10034 and project != 10050 ]  - If a user does not have access to either project, it should still happily return results anyways.

0 votes

Jobin Kuruvilla : Administrator created a filter and shared it to all users. I have a project name ProjectA, in that i have only one user name xyz. But the non-member of that project try to access in two-dimensional filter it simply says you dont have to see any issues, it doesn't throw any error. But in case of Filter search it throws error.

0 votes

Zulfadli Noor Sazali [Atlassian] :

Xyz not created any filter to share it to abc. Administrator created a filter.

Administrator created a filter and shared it to all users. I have a project name ProjectA, in that i have only one user name xyz. But the non-member of that project try to access in two-dimensional filter it simply says you dont have to see any issues, it doesn't throw any error. But in case of Filter search it throws error.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2013

for abc the filter is not valid since abc is not allowed to see project with id 10002. Therefor this error.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2013

What does the filter the admin created look like?

Administrator created a filter and shared it to all users. I have a project name ProjectA, in that i have only one user name xyz. But the non-member of that project try to access in two-dimensional filter it simply says you dont have to see any issues, it doesn't throw any error. But in case of Filter search it throws error. why ?

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2013

Did xyz create a filter shared to abc as well? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Shared+Filters

Suggest an answer