Filter Query Problems for 2 Kan-ban Boards within the Same JIRA Project

POURIA VALLEY May 16, 2017

I created two kanban boards within one JIRA project.

I can select or deselect different statuses in the filter query but the problem is that there is only one "open" status which defaulted to my first board, and that's why anything I create in the second board is moved to the first board and i get an error saying my issue was created but is invisible!

If I select "open" in my second board's filter query then all the issues from my first board also show up in my development board which is BAD!

Any advice?

3 answers

0 votes
POURIA VALLEY May 18, 2017

I completely understand your point, but seems like you are not understanding my questions.

When you say "draw" issues to to board, I defined that as the issue "belongs" to the board in my verbiage. If you want to define "belong" differently that is OK with me, but let's not play with words and get to the real issue.

The real issue is that "setting up your boards" is way more complicated than it should be. As I mentioned in my previous message my boards work flow were incosistenet by default and messed up, and I cannot modify them.

I have reached out to our company's admin for help but not much luck there either.

Honestly I am very disappointed about the level of customer support I'm getting. I had heard a lot of great things about it, and many groups use jira at our company but am so far disappointed.

I can have a webex meeting with an atlassian rep to better explain and discuss the issues. let me know if that works.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2017

Pouria, Atlassian doesn't have a support group dedicated to training such as conducting a screen share to walk through setting up the boards. This tutorial may help: Tutorial - Tracking a Kanban Team

Nic is not part of Atlassian customer support, he is a member of the Atlassian Community, like you.

If the workflows need to be edited and you do not have the necessary permissions in JIRA, your local administrator should be able to help; I am sorry to hear you have not had much luck there. If the JIRA admin finds that JIRA is not working as expected, they should contact Atlassian's technical support team at https://getsupport.atlassian.com.

I do work for Atlassian and will be happy to help you here in the Community. Please review the tutorial linked above, and let us know if you still have questions. 

0 votes
POURIA VALLEY May 16, 2017

thanks for your quick response.

I expected each created board to have at least the open and close statuses of their own but that's only true for my first board, the second board does not have its own separate open and close statuses.

I want to only see the issues that belong to one borad on that board only and not on another board.

Is it possible to change the work flow in my two boards to have their own separate open and close status in addition to all the other statuses i created?

also does project lead mean project admin in jira?

It says "The workflow for project is currently managed by JIRA Agile. Project Administrators can add and remove statuses below."

my role is listed as project lead not admin, if they're the same then that's confusing.

when i click on the workflow it just shows me a basic diagram, and does not let me edit the flow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

I think you are still missing the point.

A board is a view of a set of issues.  They don't have status, they draw them in from the issues they are looking at.

Issues do not belong to boards. 

A board has a filter which selects issues.  If you want an issue to appear on a board, then you have to set up the board to select it.  If you don't want it on the board, then the board needs to not select it.

You need to look at your board filters and decide what you want from them.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

Boards do not live within projects, and issues do not live within boards.  They are not "moving" from one board to another.

The data on the issue changes in a way that one board deselects them and the other board now includes them.

A board is a view of a set of issues.  You simply need to work out what you want your boards to show you, and get the filters right.

You have not explained what you want to do with these two boards, what the actual goal is, so we can't tell you a lot more.

Suggest an answer